Marble Base under Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jimlisa1020

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new home and the toilet in my half bath sits on this painted platform. I originally thought it was just plywood, but last night my wife and I scrapped off the paint that it seems that it is marble. It is really ugly and sticks out above the existing floor about a 1/4 of an inch. My house was build in the late 60's and I'm guess that this was there as an extra support of for the toilet.

We would like to remove the marble and make the floor all the same height. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences or recommendations for getting this slab of marble up. is it something that is just attached to the subfloor or am i opening up an can of worms by taking this out.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty hard to say what you'll find under that slab, but there are some basics that will have to be addressed. First, the floor under the toilet has to be solid and level. If it is not, then you will have some more work to do. Assuming the old floor covering will be removed, you may find you will have to cut some of the floor and sub floor out and replace them. This should not be too difficult if the joists are in good condition. Of course the flange will have to be removed and be replaced later. The new flange should rest on top of the finished floor, be screwed to through the finished floor and into the sub floor, and be level. If the floor under the slab is already in good condition, then you just need to replace the flange. The flange is the last thing to do as it must rest on top of the finished floor be it vinyl, tile, or wood.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In some places, those were required by code. Probably not true any more, but an old plumber may have been involved and used one because 'that's the way we did it'. The idea, I think, was to keep the toilet from falling through the floorboards if the toilet leaked and the floor got compromised. It was also likely that it would be flat, whereas planks might not be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks