Maple tree roots vs. septic field drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Mlang2000

Reaction score
We have a 12 year old maple that was planted too close to (or possibly on) the far end side of the septic drain field and when the tank was last pumped the guys said there are no issues now but at some point the tree could be a problem with roots in the drain field lines. We're not waiting to risk it and the tree is coming down but my concern is what if there are already roots in the lines?

1250 gallon tank & 4 X 100ft drain lines

1 - After the tree is gone, how long can it take for the roots to decompose?

2 - Do I need to worry about sending root killer down the lines or since there's no issue now can I just assume if there are roots, they can only die off from here?

3 - Anything else I should be worried about or am I already too paranoid about it? :)

Treeman

Reaction score
Two herbicides that are labeled for cut stump treatment are Tordon RTU and Garlon 4 (61% Triclopyr ester). You paint the cambium area of the cut stump with either product (1 part Garlon4 to 3 parts diesel fuel) and it trans-locates into the roots. I don't know if roots growing within the a septic line would alter their effectiveness.

Mlang2000

Reaction score
Since this is in a fairly manicured back yard, I don't want to go the heavy chemical route that might kill a bunch of grass. Plus I have a dog.

There may be zero roots in the lines, I'm just trying to think of options just in case.

I suppose copper sulfate or RootX in the field lines couldn't hurt? I know both are "septic safe" & highly reviewed but I'd lean towards sending it from the distribution box to bypass the tank vs. just flushing it as most do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks