Mansfield toilet flushing slowly, noticing flush valve closes quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

dontworry

Reaction score
so i have a toilet that flushes slowly, the fill valve seems fine but the flush valve closes quickly after about 2 seconds which causes a weak, slow flush. What can i do to fix this? it is not a chain flapper but a plastic tube silo looking valve.

Also, i cant seem to turn the valve as this is what the water valve looks like, please help!

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 315

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the inside of the tank.

You might have a Mansfield toilet that is older than ten years.

mansfield_toilet_inside_tank.jpg

Not my favorite toilets, but installed in many homes. They have improved them since.

The shutoff at the wall can be replaced. I believe you have copper at the wall and a compression stop. You may have room to cut behind the sleeve and replace it with a new stop. Or if there isn't room there, a sleeve puller to remove the back nut and sleeve.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Jdrive

Reaction score
It might be easier and cheaper to fix the shutoff valve than to replace it.
- turn off your main water valve
- remove the packing nut from the toilet supply valve (see arrow in picture)
- remove the old brass stem (turn counterclockwise with a pliers)
- replace the stem and handle with these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Multi-Turn-Valve-Stem-Repair-Kit-BCSR01/204845385
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Oval-Valve-Handle-Replacement-in-Chrome-R15-10T-CD/203570538

For the toilet itself it would help to see the inside as Terry mentioned

66C3F86A-C518-4122-A66B-937818980C8C.jpeg

dontworry

Reaction score
here is the inside

black tube thingy closes too fast. as you can see there isnt any chain so it is plastic

also can i just add a knob of some type to the valve to fix that issue?

Attachments

• toilet2.jpg
    toilet2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 381

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the Mansfield I sometimes pull the tank and replace the flush valve with one that takes a flapper.
For my daughters new home years ago I just tossed all of the toilets and put better stuff in.

Can you put a handle on the shutoff stem? It looks pretty rounded off to me.

terry-green-blues-shurt-01.jpg

Last edited:

dontworry

Reaction score
what kind of handle would you advise, can you provide a home depot or amazon link please?

Also, can i clean the flush valve or what is causing it to close quickly, thus not allowing a good flush?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The link to a replacement stem is in the post above. However that is a gamble whether it will work or not and you have to shut the water off to perform that task.. at which point you should be ready to replace the shut off valve as Terry suggested. The existing valve stem is damaged beyond use and must be replaced. I personally would replace the entire valve as terry suggests rather than attempt the repair. And his suggestion of removing the tank to replace the flush mechanism with a flapper style is solid advise as well.

It might be easier and cheaper to fix the shutoff valve than to replace it.
- turn off your main water valve
- remove the packing nut from the toilet supply valve (see arrow in picture)
- remove the old brass stem (turn counterclockwise with a pliers)
- replace the stem and handle with these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Multi-Turn-Valve-Stem-Repair-Kit-BCSR01/204845385
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Oval-Valve-Handle-Replacement-in-Chrome-R15-10T-CD/203570538

For the toilet itself it would help to see the inside as Terry mentioned

View attachment 66857

Reach4

Reaction score
A new toilet has big advantages. Despite using less water, the new ones usually flush better than the old ones. It is easier to change the toilet now before you feel more invested in the old one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks