Mansfield fill valve replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

duclad

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a novice DIYer in this area who you've helped before so I am hoping you can again. I have an older Mansfield 160 toilet. It has that older style float ball and a very different (to my other flapper Toto toilets) style flush valve. After flushing, and over the course of an hour or two, the water level slowly creeps up to the top of the overfill tube. Usually no obvious sound of dripping/filling (although occasionally it keeps dripping for about 30 sec.) and some very feint hiss for a while immediately after the flush. I'm thinking I need to replace the fill valve. I'm fairly familiar with the Corky 528 fill valves as I've used those in my Toto toilets when the originals failed. My question is can I switch to a 528 (and in the process get rid of the big float ball) or is it better to stick with a Mansfield fill valve for some reason? I know the 528 is supposed to be "universal", and it's easier to source (trip to Lowes) but just wondering if there is any problem with it working with this very different style flush valve. Thanks for any help. -Jim

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's the old ball and cock fill valve. You can change to any fill valve that will fit. The one problem might be the the toilet is probably a 3 gallon or more flush and may take some tweaking the height if the valve and the overflow tube. Some of these old toilets used a semi-ball and dropped on to the drain. Flappers might close too soon but Fluidmaster make a flapper that is adjustable. The overflow tube may not have the ears to hook on a flapper so the overflow tube may also need to be changed.

Here is a replacement kit for your Mansfield. https://cheaptoilettanklids.com/sto...ke3ZH3uBxG7lcI3fI-qdqREDbuXoWWfRoChwIQAvD_BwE

250px-Gravity_toilet_valves_at_rest.svg.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Mansfield 160 was a 1.6 GPF toilet starting in 1993.
Fluidmaster and Korky make standard fill valves for those. The gray cap Korky has more adjustment for that. Fluidmaster also has their adjustable fill valve to prevent overfilling the bowl. Performax.

duclad

Reaction score
The Mansfield 160 was a 1.6 GPF toilet starting in 1993.
Fluidmaster and Korky make standard fill valves for those. The gray cap Korky has more adjustment for that. Fluidmaster also has their adjustable fill valve to prevent overfilling the bowl. Performax.

Okay, so the Korkyy 528MP Quiet Fill Platinum (gray top) should work, right? Thanks!

duclad

Reaction score
So it looks like I am going to have to go with a Mansfield fill valve as a replacement. I realized (belatedly) that the PITA built in shelf that sits barely above the toilet will not allow the float ball to come out intact. It's hard to tell from the pic but there is only 3.25" clearance between the tank and the shelf. The original builder must have put toilet in before the shelf - as it is I can just barely get the toilet lid off. Unless I'm missing something (again), I'd have to cut the float ball in half to get the assembly out and it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Argh. I have zero experience with this float ball set up. How do you know how far to screw the rod in at the fill valve and ball ends? I realize I can try to measure the current set up but I'm wondering what effect screwing it in more/less at either end has as on function? Thanks.

IMG_1635.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to me that if you could not detach the shelf, you might just be able to cut out a piece that will lift out, and slip back in.

Still, breaking apart that ball is probably not that hard.

On the other hand, 1993 was not the golden age of 1.6 gpf toilets. If you keep a plunger nearby, that would be a good indication that a new toilet would make things better. Most people with newer toilets don't keep a plunger nearby. New toilets flush tend to better even if they use less water. I understand that that shelf would probably complicate that swap-out also.

You may have a "banjo" top on your vanity.

duclad

Reaction score
I had to look it up but yes, it is a banjo top. I'm not a fan. This is a guest bath that gets very little use, which probably explains why it has lasted 25 years with the original film land flush valves! I have the same situation in another bathroom that got heavy use from my son growing up but I was able to swap in a Toto toilet some years ago despite the tight clearance, so at least down the road that looks like an upgrade option. Not worth the money now given the low need and generally decent condition, so until things get a lot worse, I'll keep a plunger by this one and just try to get a Mansfield fill valve to work with the PITA float ball! :) Thanks.

duclad

Reaction score
Any fill valve would work with that.
Fluidmaster 400A is one that works.
Sorry if I'm being dense but as noted I'm a novice...Neither the Fluidmaster nor the Korky is designed to connect to a float ball, right? So what would happen with that part of the assembly (rod and ball) given that I can't get the ball out of the tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks