Manhole/Inspection Chamber filling and contaminating head! Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Griffiths

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

We have recently had a 400ft Deep Bore Well Drilled on our land.
The well contractor made us excavate 2 feet below the well head (Challenging as we are right ontop of the bedrock/granite) and then returned to install the pump and told us to build a chamber around the well head as soon as possible.

The groundwater raising from the ground submerges the well head and as such contaminates it.

The well contractors don't want to know and say we are responsible for all groundwork. As such I have tried over 5 months to get a civil contractor but no one will help as we live very rural.

This forced me to try and protect the wellhead from groundwater as it had already been contaminated.

I installed an inspection chamber and naively assumed a layer of concrete surrounding the head inside the chamber would prevent groundwater rising. Sadly it did not.

I am at my wits end I don't know what to do.
I currently have a sump beside the well head with a pump that switches on by a small float.
as i have ensured this is below the well head level it is preventing contamination
. But i cant keep this in place for ever. I have ordered liquid rubber and the primer and hope that dozens of coats of this on the concrete base, inside and outside the chamber may help.

Hopefully someone on this forum may be able to tell me what to do. Sincere thanks to anyone who has taken the time

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
In the US, you don't put the top of the casing in a pit. Wells in pits used to be allowed. Now you extend the casing above ground, and use a pitless adapter to put the water connection below the frost line. The regulatory folks here encourage demolishing pits and getting the casing raised. I had that done, due to pit flooding and resulting contamination.

You could ask the local regulation authority what the rules are. If the rules called for the casing to be extended, the upgrade should be free. If it is permitted there, consider paying for the upgrade.

If you feel forced to work around your flooding, consider putting a sump pump in the pit. Well seals don't seal, so if the water in your pit rises, it will seep into the well and contaminate it.

What diameter is that black cylinder?

Michael Griffiths

Reaction score
Thankyou very much for your reply.
I have no idea why the well contractors did this.
I was expecting exactly what you described, something resembling a fire hydrant or similar, above ground.
It agree having the well casing/piping extend above ground is likely the way to go. Common Sense tells me so! I didn't question what the contractors where doing as i trusted them.

The black cylinder is approx 2 feet, the well head inside takes up approx 1 square foot, i am going to attempt to waterproof the concrete at the bottom in an attempt to prevent groundwater flooding. I ensured the black chamber/cylinder is 1 foot above ground when the earth is all back filled to prevent water flowing in from the ground.

I sincerely appreciate your help

Michael Griffiths

Reaction score
I have wrote to the well company but i live in rural ireland and their customer service simply isnt what you would be used to in the states. They have explained F*ck all and now we wont hear from them regarding extending the head as they already have our money.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have wrote to the well company but i live in rural ireland and their customer service simply isnt what you would be used to in the states. They have explained F*ck all and now we wont hear from them regarding extending the head as they already have our money.
Ask the county if what was done was proper, if they have jurisdiction. I am not a pro.

It appears the reason for the well head being below ground is to prevent it freezing in winter.
Right, but there is the potential contamination problem that you noted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks