Manganese & clear water iron. black filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Kreis

Reaction score
Hi thanks for any in site on this . water filter turns black if not changed befor 3 months have softer and filter after softner it never turns black so the softer must be removeing the manganese it has be removeing iron good have used every other bag salt has been morton rust defender i thing i need to get some citrus acid put in prevent i have 2.5 ppm iron ph 7.5 28 GPG so went 40 grain add iron been in service 1 year 64 grain softer dual tank fleck 9000 . the iron is clear water iron drilled 50 foot well artesian flowing in spring. only have some odor once while could be from black filter ? have that floating film on top water read somewere could the mag ? is there filter iron removal that would not need 2 part system like Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi thanks for any in site on this . water filter turns black if not changed befor 3 months have softer and filter after softner it never turns black so the softer must be removeing the manganese
You have manganese? Filters often turn black because of captured sediment.

Do you have a cartridge filter both before and after the softener?

Jim Kreis

Reaction score
ya one befor softer is
Spun Polypropylene
and after the softer is same ya it could be but i never got that when first started the well but harder to tell had alot iron from my pipes from old well dug had change about every 4 weeks it looks less black let it dry thanks for your help

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
manganese is the most difficult to treat. I'd advise getting a comprehensive water test to see your levels of manganese.

Reach4

Reaction score
manganese is the most difficult to treat. I'd advise getting a comprehensive water test to see your levels of manganese.
Would you agree that a front-end cartridge filter turning black in a few months is not a likely indication of manganese?

Reach4

Reaction score
[QUOTE="water pro, post: 654913, member: 99698"
sorry read that quick. if it's turning black, it's likely manganese[/QUOTE]
Is significant manganese common in your area?

What color do cartridges tend to turn in your area?

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
ya i need to get test for all of it thanks for help have great day
sorry read that quick. if it's turning black, it's likely manganese
Is significant manganese common in your area?

What color do cartridges tend to turn in your area?[/QUOTE]
very few customers in this area with manganese. they turn red because it's mostly iron here.

Reach4

Reaction score
I figure that various things could cause the surface of a cartridge filter to look black. I had guessed that for most people with black-looking dirty filter cartridges the cause was something other than Mn. But I am not at all sure what the breakdown would be. It would be interesting to hear from those with cartridge filters that turn black with use.

My front-end filter is a backwashing filter. So my cartridges didn't have much on them after 1.5 years. My latest not for changing a cartridge is July 2017. Guess I should consider a spring operation. I was thinking of doing the well and cartridge swap this past summer, but did not have any symptoms. So postponed.

When I sanitize my well, I recirculate the treated water thru a cartridge filter. That turns orange.

Last edited:

Jim Kreis

Reaction score
Well k the old well is dug 30 feet taken out service in October 2018 had iron to but its only 12 feet from new drilled well 50 feet deep I don’t remember and filters turned black had a lot iron on them because iron was more oxygen and oxidation so filter taken more out and it was less more went bottom well iam thinking and had no softener on that well toilets have no slimes but newer one was used old well has rust across and a little bit black spots and old one has some black not lot not really dark . Other well my mom up mine 800 feet she’s at 740 feet best water soft no iron clean 170 then hit granite never got out lots of water 2 houses on it the othe well down road a little 1/2 he passed away but don’t remember him saying any thing about black he got some iron I will talk to some other folks out my areas thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks