Users who are viewing this thread

JustanotherDIY

Reaction score
I'm looking to replumb the old house and really like the Manabloc but I also really like the Uponor connects. Now I know the two are directly incompatable but could you run your manabloc, branch out with your PEX B a length of your desire then transition with a connector to PEX A so that the rest of the system is connected with expansion fittings? This may sound like a hassle but I can't help liking what I like.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Manablock offers not only crimp connections, but also compression ones which would be directly compatible with any PEX-A such as Uphonor's tubing.

One thing I just saw on Uphonor's website is something that is now required in Germany, and may be a consideration for use in the USA, too. This is a method to ensure there is no stagnant water in any of the lines in your house. Apparently required now on new construction in Germany.

It ensures that seldom used lengths of supply lines are constantly purged so that the water there can't become stagnant.

I didn't read the details, and there's probably a way around it, but caught one comment on the Manabloc's tech page is that their manifolds are not compatible with recirculation. That could be an issue, but you'd have to read the details as it's probably possible, but may be a bit more complicated.

Hot water recirculation can be quite useful depending on the system design, and in some places may be required as it (should) save water use. Instead of dumping potentially a few gallons each time you want hot water, it should be there immediately if recirculation is done right. If you insulate the lines, there isn't much of any energy cost, especially if you have it on either an on-demand operation, or a timer, and you've insulated all of the lines properly.

JustanotherDIY

Reaction score
My problem is that I want to use expansion fittings for 99 percent of the system. have the compression or crimp fittings only at the the manabloc itself then swap to the expansion fittings for the rest of the install.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

pex-manifold-copper.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you choose the manabloc that uses compression fittings, you can use the same tubing you want for expansion connections everywhere else if you wish. They make the Manabloc manifold with various connection types including crimp and compression.

JustanotherDIY

Reaction score
Terry,

The compression manabloc was discontinued on 12/3/18. Even if I found one it would be unwise to get it due to future parts and repair availabilty. If I understand, you were giving me another idea which I am grateful for but you didn't mention anything about if my logic would work which means to me that you think it would while giving me another idea. Is that the case?

Also if I have to I will go with the copper manifold like in the photo you posted but they are pricey for two 12 port manifolds from uponor. I really prefer the manabloc due to its appearance.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Well, fabricating copper would involve a lot more work than doing most of it in plastic. The supply house I checked didn't indicate that version was discontinued. I have not looked for alternatives, but PEX-A can be used with any of the fittings, but you'll gain the most benefit if you use those designed for expansion fittings. Viega makes a version with compression type fittings. https://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-plumbing-manifolds

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm looking to replumb the old house and really like the Manabloc but I also really like the Uponor connects. Now I know the two are directly incompatable but could you run your manabloc, branch out with your PEX B a length of your desire then transition with a connector to PEX A so that the rest of the system is connected with expansion fittings? This may sound like a hassle but I can't help liking what I like.
No need to switch to PEX B for this. You can put rings or clamps onto either end of a length of PEX A to fit onto the common F1807 metal or F2159 plastic fittings or the Manabloc PEX crimp adapters.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The advantage of pex-A is that it is the most flexible so it supports the minimum turn radius meaning fewer fittings are required for changes of direction, you can use the expansion fittings to minimize flow restrictions, and it is the only version that can be repaired if you kink it during installation without having to cut it and insert a fitting. But, you can use it with crimp rings or a compression fitting as I noted earlier. A single crimp fitting won't be as restrictive as a series of them along the path to the destination. A compression fitting will probably have less restriction than a crimp one, but probably won't be as good as an expansion one. That could be close as the reinforcement insert can be fairly thin material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks