Making a alcove tub removable before setting it in plaster of Paris. Plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

ARC

Reaction score
Hi. What's your best practice for making the tub removable before you lay it in mounds of plastic of Paris? I read plastic somewhere but not sure if there is a best technique/thickness, etc. Is there a way? I'm worried if you put some down it would squish out the plaster of Paris too much.

Also how many 25# bags of plaster of Paris do you tend to use?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Lumps of mortar in sandwich bags would be better than plaster of Paris.

Plaster of Paris hardens with drying, and water later will dissolve plaster of Paris.

Mortar hardens through a chemical. Try searching the forums here for
index.php

ARC

Reaction score
@Reach4 I like the sandwich bag idea. Thanks.

I read an older post here where there seems to be some back and forth about mortar or PoP. My Jacuzzi brand alcove tub instructions say to use casting plaster or plaster of Paris. I guess since it doesn't shrink, but I think it tends to crack over time. Mortar is stronger but if it shrinks then what. Other people's instructions say specifically not to use PoP. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a specialty mix just for this to resolve the issues with both products.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Plaster of Paris may set faster than you like. I'd go with mortar as well. In a plastic bag or just a sheet of poly vapor barrier on top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks