Make a pump quiet check valve with a wye?

Will this work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin71246

Reaction score
I have a typical loud thump when my ejector pump goes off, obviously from my check valve. I went to the big box store but they don't sell 2" quiet/silent/klunkless CVs. They actually have a licensed plumber working there, which is a surprise.

He told me when he installs pumps he puts a wye in (I'm guessing right above the CV on a vertical pipe), with a short (1 ft?) pipe going upward and a cap. This air chamber lessens or eliminates the CV thump.

Before I do this, and it appears to have some merit, I was curious if anyone ever heard of this (I couldn't find anything on Google). Playing with poop water isn't something Id like to experiment with, so thought I'd hear some folks either confirm or deny this. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Unless there is a way for the wye to drain and get air into it, it just might work. However, I googled "how to quiet a sump pump check valve" and look what was found. The one on the right which is the most common type, allows water to circulate around in the chamber so when the pump shuts off, the turbulence helps the flapper from slamming shut too fast.

worthflorida-08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin71246

Reaction score
Unless there is a way for the wye to drain and get air into it, it just might work. However, I googled "how to quiet a sump pump check valve" and look what was found. The one on the right which is the most common type, allows water to circulate around in the chamber so when the pump shuts off, the turbulence helps the flapper from slamming shut too fast.
Yes I saw that but wasn't sure if there was more to it than just an air chamber, like any additional components. And would it easily get water logged? Effective, or as effective as a "quiet" CV? Looks promising :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air chambers in pressurized water systems get waterlogged because the air is absorbed into the water... I doubt theres enough pressure to do that in this scenario. I have Never seen or heard of this system before.. I can't see how it would actually prevent the Clunk cause by the waste falling down on the flapper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cant say it would work or not. if I had an offensive clunk I might concider this. dosent sound farfetched to me that this might help.
money back guarantee?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks