Major rust now in our supply; odd plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
And further update: water in all devices seems to have cleared....hmmmm
If you do tear out the plumbing where the water comes in, consider a whole-house cartridge filter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you happen to ask any of your neighbors about their water? Where I live, about once a year, the city runs a special 'flush the lines' where they open up a bunch of fire hydrants to radically increase the flow through the main lines to purge a bunch of crud that may have settled out since the last time. As a result, there can be a bunch of crud in the lines to homes/businesses for a few days as what's left clears out once it got loosened up. Depending on where you are in that chain, and how much use your branch gets, it could take awhile to clear up again.

Modrob

Reaction score
Yes we did ask. This residence is out “in the boonies”, but in recent years a neighboring town utility ran a line to enough interested subscribers—we have a neighbor just down the hill from us, and she reported no problems at all. A call to the utility and they said no problems...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be old galvinized pipes leading to the trailer from meter or another trailer feeding this one. send more plumbing pics very interesting!

Modrob

Reaction score
Jeff...this house started out as a single-wide trailer moved to a hillside in the country in 1981, but the fella started adding on immediately, and continued over the years up until his passing in 2017. The “trailer” part eventually was swallowed up. He replaced everything along the way—electricity and plumbing, and did so in his own way (I’m still trying to understand some of his electrical wiring prowess—it all works fine but a lot of it doesn’t match up to today’s ways...I’ve asked an electrician friend of mine about some of it and he said it was a lot of “old school” techniques that they were accustomed to way back then.)
He dug out a huge three-room basement and cellar, and most of it was by shovel and wheelbarrow! The guy was amazing really, but sometimes odd in his strange but bull-headed logic. (his wife said )
Anyhow, the house is HUGE now, sitting on a lovely 20 acres of woodland, but sometimes a real puzzle when trying to repair things. Sadly in his last months he was trying to remember many things to detail to his wife, but he painfully could not remember a lot of it...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a typical mobile home had mixed soft copper 3/8 lines coming off half inch or 3/4 mains of galvinised into the 80s.
Sound like your freind was Independent , determined good traits! not affraid to pick up a shovel another thing I admire. Ill take hard working and determined over brains but lazy any day!

Modrob

Reaction score
He had starting building a huge garage/shop below this house about 250 feet away. He nearly finished it before his cancer took him down. Luckily the wife is learned over years some tricks too, and with some help from a daughter and son and guidance by him, they were able to finish it...but this time found the single mom daughter needed a home, plan changed and saw it then become a home—whole house wooden siding he made by felling trees and cut to planks on his Hudson sawmill...

Modrob

Reaction score
a typical mobile home had mixed soft copper 3/8 lines coming off half inch or 3/4 mains of galvinised into the 80s.
Sound like your freind was Independent , determined good traits! not affraid to pick up a shovel another thing I admire. Ill take hard working and determined over brains but lazy any day!
Thanks Jeff...he was my guitar-playing, singing, writing friend as well, and was a genius at just about anything...out-of-the-ordinary in most projects but amazing inventive thinking too. Sure wish I could ask him some questions...if only there was a direct phone line to the Heavens...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff...he was my guitar-playing, singing, writing friend as well, and was a genius at just about anything...out-of-the-ordinary in most projects but amazing inventive thinking too. Sure wish I could ask him some questions...if only there was a direct phone line to the Heavens...
RIP those weve lost

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks