Major issues fitting new drain to bathroom sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

ben_allison

Reaction score
So I’m replacing a bathroom faucet. Faucet went on no problem. The drain however, is not going so smoothly. The previous drain was the metal popup kind. The new one is a Pfister push & kind (example:
Pfister 972-053A Push and Seal Drain, Polished Chrome

Now, this drain comes with a rubber gasket that is supposed to sit in the sink bowl, under the flange. The manufacturer expressly says not to use plumbers putty.

The problem I’m having is with my sink! There are two issues:

1) The sink is uneven so the drain does sit flush; as I tighten the assembly underneath, the drain pulls to the right.

drain01.jpg

2) There isn’t a recess that accepts the rubber gasket AND the flange, so both sit above the bottom of the sink. It seems like there’s some kind of ring of epoxy or plastic where the rubber gasket would otherwise nestle into.

drain02.jpg

So, what are my options? Ditch the top/sink side rubber gasket and use silicone? Try to remove that interior ring of material and hope the gasket and flange will fit into it and sit lower in the sink bowl?

I’m at a loss!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use either stainless putty, or Silicone.
We don't even bother with standard putty anymore with all the marble sinks out there and plastic drains.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this sink old or new? I've seen sinks like this before, in many cases they are junk.

I'd use putty to compensate for the high-low in the sink, but first remove that excess material in the hole. Now bring the lower part up and see if it reaches the flange, but don't force it and don't mis thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks