Maintenance on Pentair GRO-75EN Encapsulated GPD Membrane?

Users who are viewing this thread

RayN

Reaction score
Is there any annual or biannual maintenance required on Pentair GRO-75EN Encapsulated GPD Membrane? Such flushing etc. ? Is anybody doing any type of service when its time to change other RO system filters?

I just noticed recently that it has 200ml/min FRCT which seems small for 75 GPD membranes, perhaps the design of the membrane does not lend to a higher flow FRCT.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
it has 200ml/min FRCT which seems small for 75 GPD
The benefit of Pentair GRO is that it is a high efficiency membrane with a waste to product water ratio close to 1:1. As such, the drain flow restrictor flow rate maybe substantially lower than for a standard membrane with comparable production capacity.

If you wished to periodically flush the membrane, the flow restrictor could be removed temporarily or a bypass line incorporating a manual shut-off valve could be installed parallel to the flow restrictor.

Depending on the usual amount of water being produced, the sediment and carbon filters will require ongoing replacement every 6-12 months.

When replacing my standard membrane about every 3-4 years, I remove all filters and drain the storage tank. While the system is empty, I adjust the air charge in the storage tank and then sanitize the system with unscented chlorine bleach added to the 1st filter sump which is then run through the entire system and into the storage tank and to the faucet. After ~20 minutes contact time, the system is emptied and thoroughly flushed with fresh water before a new membrane and filter cartridges are installed.

Not certain of the requirements for GRO membranes, but the 1st full tank of RO water following membrane replacement is to be discarded due to the stabilizing chemicals used in the storage of the membrane before installation.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The GRO is a disposable element. We typically recommend replacing it every three years but your mileage will vary. It is a 1:1 design so your flow control is correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks