Mainline backing up

Users who are viewing this thread

robcanuck

Reaction score
We moved into an older home (mid 1950's) last summer and have had two back-ups. On both occasions water was coming up the floor drain in the basement. I had a CCTV scan of the pipes done and have narrowed the problem to a section of the main pipe approximately 22 feet from the main stack. The exterior wall of the house is approximately 21 feet from the main stack and there is a cleanout right before the pipes exit from the home.

It looks like there are potentially weaping tile connections at 22 feet and the cleanout at 21 feet. It seems like the connection may be misaligned which could be resulting in the clogging. The toilet paper and stuff remaining in the pipes suggest this may be case.

I would appreciate any input anyone has as I want to tackle this one and for all! Thank you.

Here are some photos:

mainline1.jpgmainline2.jpgmainline3.jpg

And here is the CCTV scan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9cChO0P6yA&feature=youtu.be

robcanuck

Reaction score
From the photos, it does appear that way. Although the video perhaps suggests a lesser decrease than the photos. If there is a small reduction in pipe size, what options do I have if this pipe is running directly under my foundation wall (short of digging up from front yard). Should I put a floating drain cover on the floor drain so that if it happens again the water comes up the shower drain instead (the shower can hold about 80 litres of water - it is a Kerdi system)?

Would enzymes be good to put down the drain once in a while to maintain the drain?

Any other suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks