Main water shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

dauber man

Reaction score
Moving into a condo and can't figure out which is the main water shut off valve..

There are two large shut off valves in the water heater closet (Blue and Red) and another smaller blue shut off valve on the other side of same pipe.

Which is the main shut off valve for all the water to the unit.

Please see photo. Thank you.

phonto.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that bronze-looking casting a water meter? If that blue-gray-handled valve routes to that casting, I would guess that.

dauber man

Reaction score
I thought similarly as well but there's another smaller blue shut off valve that routes to the meter on the other side

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
turn gray handle 90 degree check all your fixtures. either way if that's your water meter and you turn off water either going to it or away from the meter water should be off unless your getting free water (something is piped wrong)

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect flow through the meter is top to bottom, and that the bluish knob in the upper right of your photo is the whole-unit cutoff. Look for an arrow on the casting.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect flow through the meter is top to bottom, and that the bluish knob in the upper right of your photo is the whole-unit cutoff. Look for an arrow on the casting.
I might be turned around but I thought meter was mounted horizontal and grey valve was going to meter? 3/4 line strapped to wall appears to drop down assuming to a water heater. I wouldn't expect the blue valve (not in pic) to turn off water to water heater and it would still be live but it might shut off cold water to remainder of house

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought similarly as well but there's another smaller blue shut off valve that routes to the meter on the other side
Having shutoffs on both sides of the meter makes replacement/maintenance easier, you don't have to drain all the unit water piping to remove the meter.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have shutoffs on both sides of the meter makes replacement/maintenance easier, you don't have to drain all the unit water piping to remove the meter.

Cheers, Wayne
I only see a valve on one side of meter the second valve we cant see I don't think by itself could shut off all water to the unit
Gray valve I still think is "main" not the blue handle

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks