Main water service copper line through concrete wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The solder joint is sloppy BUT it is not going to leak

The bend in the copper tubing should not be acceptable by any master plumber as a decent plumber would use a bending tool if the do not know what radius a bend should be

Kiton

Reaction score
So what does your code say?

Cheers, Wayne

I am away, and the NRC ties the PDF version of the code to your computer, so I can not open it on my laptop, I have to wait until I get home to read through the code. I will scour it once home and get back to you.

thanks Wayne,

Kiton

Reaction score
The solder joint is sloppy BUT it is not going to leak

The bend in the copper tubing should not be acceptable by any master plumber as a decent plumber would use a bending tool if the do not know what radius a bend should be

The picture I posted was the day it was installed, that kinked area is now deep green, which he says is totally normal and means nothing. But it is only green in the kinked area, the rest of 1 inch pipe above the floor looks like new.

Kiton

Reaction score
2.3.5.5. Protection from Mechanical Damage
1) Plumbing, piping and equipment exposed to mechanical damage shall be
protected.

Am I am safe to assume this means copper pipe penetrating a concrete wall must be insulated from contact?

thank you,

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
whats the issue? job is ayear old , contractor wont fix it, its crappy work, No Idea what your rights are in Canada
Is it legal to bury bare copper in concrete in another country ? I cant tell you . Might ask your local building inspector

Kiton

Reaction score
whats the issue? job is ayear old , contractor wont fix it, its crappy work, No Idea what your rights are in Canada
Is it legal to bury bare copper in concrete in another country ? I cant tell you . Might ask your local building inspector

Hi Jeff,

I asked a few inspection companies and none with quote the building code, I find that odd.
I asked an engineering firm, the job was "too small" they did not want to come and look.
I asked 2 plumbers and they do not want to speak against another plumber in writing that the job should be re-done.
I guess I will ask the city inspector to come. They never looked at the work during the actual job, but they did asses the excavator a small fine for dumping dirt on the street surface, then left.

The contractor said he would inject vaseline in to the concrete space to protect the pipe.

But the pipe is kinked and started to show a lot of corrosion already in the kinked area.

We have a really good small claims court system here, and no lawyers are allowed to be present, only myself and the contract may plead.
I will be forced in to retirement soon and I want to know that I do not have to think about this for the next 15 years until I give up the house.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

I asked a few inspection companies and none with quote the building code, I find that odd.
I asked an engineering firm, the job was "too small" they did not want to come and look.
I asked 2 plumbers and they do not want to speak against another plumber in writing that the job should be re-done.
I guess I will ask the city inspector to come. They never looked at the work during the actual job, but they did asses the excavator a small fine for dumping dirt on the street surface, then left.

The contractor said he would inject vaseline in to the concrete space to protect the pipe.

But the pipe is kinked and started to show a lot of corrosion already in the kinked area.

We have a really good small claims court system here, and no lawyers are allowed to be present, only myself and the contract may plead.
I will be forced in to retirement soon and I want to know that I do not have to think about this for the next 15 years until I give up the house.
ok I understand better. My guess is you need an expert witness to provide you with a report that work needs redone then hire contractor to do work and sue original contractor. or threaten orginal that this is your intention giving him a chance to repair to your satisfaction.

Kiton

Reaction score
ok I understand better. My guess is you need an expert witness to provide you with a report that work needs redone then hire contractor to do work and sue original contractor. or threaten orginal that this is your intention giving him a chance to repair to your satisfaction.

Thanks Jeff,

The plan is to write him and offer him the chance to redo the work, if he refuses, then I will have another contractor re do the job and file for the costs.
It makes no sense, from my point of view, it would be in his best interest to just make a deal and get it done right. Time will tell.

I still can not find any referenced in the codes to kinked copper pipe,

the closest is an article that says type M and DWV pipe may not be bent. nothing that directly states, something like all bends must be done in compliance with ASTM standard XYZ etc etc

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff,

The plan is to write him and offer him the chance to redo the work, if he refuses, then I will have another contractor re do the job and file for the costs.
It makes no sense, from my point of view, it would be in his best interest to just make a deal and get it done right. Time will tell.

I still can not find any referenced in the codes to kinked copper pipe,

the closest is an article that says type M and DWV pipe may not be bent. nothing that directly states, something like all bends must be done in compliance with ASTM standard XYZ etc etc
well good luck with it . hopefully he fixes it , personaly i would have put a 90 on instead of the tight bend

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks