main water line break

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by flabbb, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. flabbb

    flabbb New Member

    Sep 16, 2007
    the main water to the house broke. it is halfway between the cutoff and the house. the line is nearly cracked in half ( 3/4" copper ). can i fix it and if so how ( cut out problem and/or solder a sleeve over the crack , or some other solution ? ). or should i replace the entire line ( ~ 40' from street to house , including running under the sidewalk ).


  2. patrick88

    patrick88 Plumber

    Sep 3, 2007
    Webster Ma.
    Replace the whole line. If it cracked in that one spot what makes you think it will not crack in another. It is always best to think of what will happen next. The pipe is old and worn so replace it and never have another problem with it again
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. TMB9862

    TMB9862 New Member

    Nov 12, 2006
    How old is the service? If it's ten years or older I'd replace the entire line. If it's newer then that it was probably just a rock in the wrong place that made it leak and I'd patch it. Most of the time if you do things by the book and get the water district out there they won't allow you to patch an older line as it's just going to keep leaking.
  5. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    If you are in an area that has water that attacks copper you may want to replace the whole line BUT K copper is very heavy duty and if it is only 10 years old I would cut out 2' of pipe with the break in the middle and just repair the break with 2 pack joint couplings and enough new K copper to do the job.

    Find out if it is K copper.
  6. flabbb

    flabbb New Member

    Sep 16, 2007
    water line

    thanks all. the house was built in the early 40s. they had a remod in the 60's but i don't think it had anything to do with the front ( where the water line is ). we have been in the house since 91 so thats 16 years. could be the original pipe from the 40's ? or sometime between, but at least 16+ years.
  7. cwhyu2

    cwhyu2 Consultant

    Aug 11, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    I think it would be in best interest to replace.
  8. GrumpyPlumber

    GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

    Jun 18, 2007
    Plumber, self employed
    Licensed Grump
    Point worth mention.
    Home Depot/Lowes do not carry type K, which is necessary for underground mains.
    Plumbing supply has it.
  9. Gary Slusser

    Gary Slusser That's all folks!

    Aug 31, 2004
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    I'd use 200 psi rated PE pipe in a roll and a SS fitting underground and brass in the house.
Similar Threads: main water
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Changing the main shutoff on a pressurized water line Nov 7, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Is this my main water inlet to the house? Oct 19, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Main Water Line Leak Aug 10, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Water Main Leak Jun 22, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Add garden water valve/spigot to irrigation main line Mar 22, 2017

Share This Page