Main vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianttttt

Reaction score
I have only one main vent on this header, is this legal? Seen some info that stated appliances within 6 ' can use this vent, others i guess i would have to tie in?

By the way the vent is the cast iron pipe branching off on the right

20211010_162310.jpg

Brianttttt

Reaction score
Ok so this vent is proper for my toilet which it was already tied into, but then every other appliance can branch and tie into this vent maybe in the attic ?

Brianttttt

Reaction score
Or is it even proper for my toilet?, the toilet comes with a pre built trap so how can u vent above if the header is below

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since a toilet is meant to siphon when it's flushed, that vent can be below the arm.

For anything with a p-trap that is not supposed to siphon, that's everything else in the home, those vents need to be above to "break" the siphon and keep some water in the trap to block the sewer gas that would smell up the home and be dangerous for health reasons.

Revents take place six inches above the flood level of the highest fixture, normally 42" because sinks can be at 36".

Brianttttt

Reaction score
So assuming all my appliances have traps in this photos would this work? Also included that my one sink is pretty far away can this still share the vent ?

Attachments

• 20211010_171639.jpg
    20211010_171639.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 170

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So assuming all my appliances have traps in this photos would this work? Also included that my one sink is pretty far away can this still share the vent ?
Yeah that picture is proper. If only it were that easy, lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks