Main Stack Vent Requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
New construction house... If every fixture is vented, does the main stack need to vent through the roof? The stack is only serving as a waste line and is not serving as a vent to any fixtures. Do I need to vent it through the roof or are all the separate fixture vents sufficient?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
When you say "every fixture is vented", do you mean you have given them all a vent path to the roof already? If you can answer that with a simple hand drawn diagram, it would clarify.

Usually the main stack is going to be somewhere in your house where a lot of other drains will merge into it.

Like:
2nd floor two bathrooms that are back to back,
ground floor kitchen and an adjacent laundry room right underneath those 2nd fl baths
basement bathroom right under kitchen.

So surely all that can be on the main stack, and you will have just one roof vent, with no auxillaries.

New construction gives an opportunity to make a WELL VENTED vent system. I would strongly consult with some local professionals on this one. You have one shot at making an awesome vented system, one that many owner of older homes wish for. If I had a chance at a new home, I would access panel the crap out of everything.

Every fixture needs an external vent close enough so that any gravity action from the volume of water will take the path of least resistance and vaccuum from the vent, not the trap. When a drain is too far from the main stack, that is where it needs an auxillary, like if someone adds a sink drain in an attached garage.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The stack MUST go through the roof SOMEWHERE. It cannot just terminate in the attic or have a cap placed on it. The way the question is posed, it is ambiguous as to what you are really asking.

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
I have attached a rough sketch of what I am talking about. Does this make it more clear? Is this acceptable or does the stack itself need to be vented, too?

Also, is there a max vent pipe length? Washer is front corner of basement. I want to vent out back roof. Will require at least 60' of vent. Is this okay?

Thanks as always!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 867
Reaction score
The new "diagram" makes the understanding even worse and confuses me more.

If you are building "New construction house", you should be able to provide some actual blueprints or 3D views.

Regardless of the answer you get from this forum, how are you going to confirm the information towards a design of a new plumbing system?

My suggestion is to contact a local professional.

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
I guess I'm not asking the question very well or something. I have attached a plan view with plumbing layout. Each fixture (on this level and all the other levels) is vented properly. Does the stack itself need to be vented? Does it need to continue straight up through the roof? The reason I am asking is that the HVAC installation makes it difficult to do so.

So, is there a reason to continue the stack through the roof if all the individual fixtures are properly vented?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Plan Layout copy.jpg
    Plan Layout copy.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 908

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
The fixtures are all vented through the roof. The gases will not be released in the attic. There will not be any traps getting sucked dry. All the fixtures are properly vented. Does the stack itself need to be vented in addition to all the fixtures being vented?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
A drawing of the top floor is insufficient; you need to show the entire house. How are the fixtures on the floors below vented? Do their vents tie into the "waste line serving two lower floors" referred to in your sketch BELOW the second floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks