Main Stack leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Pat R

Reaction score
noticed a pretty good leak yesterday at my rental. It was in the basement main drain Stack. I went to the 2nd floor and was able to access the stack there and the water was dripping on that from up above so the leak has to be between the 3rd and 2nd floors. The issue I have is how can there be a leak when the water was not running?? No one was home at the time? Should I replace the cast iron stack or does this mean there is a clog?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a leak in the roof at the vent penetration? Has it been raining?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Maybe the area around/under the pipe leak is saturated (think wet drywall) and that's what your seeing dripping.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure it's not a leak on the water supply? That would be more likely.
If you aren't running water it's normally okay. Unless like mentioned above you have a leaking flapper on a toilet upstairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks