Main stack advice

Users who are viewing this thread

AverageIdiot

Reaction score
My recently aquired old home has the main stack as shown in the pics.
The home inspector did not flag anything here prior to purchase, but I'm looking for any advice here on any issues you see or how to tie in for future renovations.

A: unused 2" that was for a washing machine in basement.

B: Existing bathroom lav and shower, and kitchen drain. There is no venting on this line which is probably a problem.

V: cast iron vent to roof

SP: sump pump. Not sure if this really should be tied into sewer...

I'd like to tie in to move the bathroom lav to the opposite side of the room. Also potential to add a half bath somewhere else in the future. One solution I see for moving the lav is to remove the cleanout near the top and extend the pipe out, add a wye and tie in there.
Isn't there a requirement for a cleanout at the bottom of this stack in IPC? What would you do in this situation if you wanted to tie into this stack? Rebuild the whole thing? Just looking for some ideas...
Thanks in advance!

20210312_233126.jpg

20210312_233220.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id rebuild it eventualy When I had time. as far as a clean out at bottom that would be adressed when I did the work. How did you determine that none of fixtures on B were unvented? that too I would correct .

AverageIdiot

Reaction score
Id rebuild it eventualy When I had time. as far as a clean out at bottom that would be adressed when I did the work. How did you determine that none of fixtures on B were unvented? that too I would correct .

B is about 15ft of 2" to the existing kitchen sink where there is an s trap, no vent pipe or aav. Between the main stack and kitchen, the bathroom existing lav and shower tie in, again with no vent pipes on this line. Only vent in the whole system is the main cast iron pipe shown in the pics. I suppose a short term improvement would be change the kitchen sink s to p trap and stick an aav on there. Better than nothing?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A: unused 2" that was for a washing machine in basement.
If the end of the stand pipe is not tightly capped, I suggest pouring some water into it to ensure the trap is full.

I vote for rebuild within 5 years, the question is just when.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks