Main shutoff and outside faucet pressure fix

Users who are viewing this thread

wizard1

Reaction score
Looking for some (additional) advice on "fixing" my main water connection below.
The white value leads to outdoor faucets and the red is the master shutoff. My main problem right now is the outdoor faucets are at street pressure which is ~120-140PSI. I've tried to setup a drip system but can't find an irrigation PRV that works with this type of high pressure and would like to plan the redo to support a future sprinkler system. Any advice would be very appreciated!

water%20in%20small.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either pull off for the outside faucets after the PRV you have, or maybe even better for your irrigation, install a PRV for the irrigation.
You should have a either vacuum breaker or a reduced pressure back flow preventer for irrigation.

wizard1

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I reconfigured off of the PRV tonight. I'm thinking of also changing the main line interconnect but can't tell what type of fitting it has on it. In the photo above there is a brass fitting attached to the flexible 3/4" copper coming in from the street. It's labeled with "MB CO 3/4" and "A2549" . Any idea what this fitting is called? I think it's a reducing fitting from 3/4" to 1/2" male pipe thread. I'm concerned the pipe coming off of the main shutoff is galvanized instead of brass or copper, is there any reason to use this (ie: sacrificial anode)? It looks awfully corroded.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's galvanized, and they rust pretty badly.
There was no reason to reduce down, and if you are redoing it, maintain the largest size you can.
1/2" only feeds two plumbing fixtures. With 3/4" you can feed a one bath home.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Using galvanized piping in today's water supply is the lazy and cheap way...brass or bronze or copper is a lifetime fitting...galvanized can be quite short. THey cost more.

wizard1

Reaction score
This house is full of "lazy and cheap". I'm slowly trying to remedy that. Curiously the water heater is connected via copper and galvanized as well. If I was to redo with 3/4" as the main line I assume the recommendation is to transition to PEX? I'd prefer to not rip out and replace if it's not necessary, but the entire house is 1/2" copper except for what you see in the photo above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks