Main Sewer Line Sludge

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam76

Reaction score
Every couple of years we have to have the plumber out to clear roots from the main sewer line(this line runs the bathroom of the house. All other sump, washer, kitchen, etc are on a separate drain).
We had the trees removed last year. The bathroom drain clogged again a few weeks ago. The plumber came out and snaked the 200ft out(which would have hit the city sewer at 125-150ft) twice and got very minimal roots but drain still clogged. He then tried a blow bag stating the drain was just compacted with crap(literally). The blow bag appeared to open the drain but a few days ago it came back.
I bought some main line cleaner figured it couldn't hurt but after being in the pipe for 8 hours I see no improvement. I am wondering if it is possible the city sewer is back up to the point it has compacted my drain?
Approx 6 months ago the city had a major sewer and street project going on my street. This is the first time in 25 years we have encountered a "sludge" clog.
If none of the plumbers think that is a possibility....what would be your best guess as to how to clear this problem before I call out another plumber.
Plumber cost $205 for something that didn't work and he had no other tricks up his sleeve.
He did not think the pipe was broke as the snake went through the pipe easily.
Thanks for any help!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Ask the city sewer dept to scope the connection from there side. Something maybe going on at the connection after the work you describe was done. Show them your bill from the plumber as proof that your end is clear. Was a camera ever used by one of your plumbers?

Sam76

Reaction score
No camera was used(yet)....just snake and blow bag. Since the snake went through 200 ft without hitting anything it leads me to believe it isn't a problem with my line.
I will call the city tomm(that should be fun!).
Thanks for the reply!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Why would a "plumber" use a blow bag that anyone can buy in a big box store.

Also having a garden hose connected to a sewer or waste pipe without a vacuum breaker is at best showing incompetence

If you have roots and sludge ideally the plumber would use a snake with root cutting heads and run the snake several times out to the public sewer then use a water Jetter to scour the lines to remove the sludge build up

The Jetter should be either 4000 PSI and 4 GPM or 2500 PSI and 10 GPM

The higher PSI does a better job removing build up on the piping walls

The more GPM allows for better flushing of heavy deposits of mud and grease

A video inspection would show if there are dips or where the root infiltration started or any other defects that caused the problems AFTER rodding and water Jetting

Sam76

Reaction score
The blow bag was not worth the mess it made and he mentioned a jet but after the blow bag appeared to clear the line enough to let what was in the pipe go down he packed up and handed me a bill. The main line cleaner did clear out the drain(or at least some of it). I'm going to contact another plumber and have a video inspection done just to be on the safe side. This build up has either been years in the making or the city goofed up their sewer project.
Thanks for the reply!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
One of the law suits I was called for was a guy used a blow bag in a luxury building in Manhattan as the kitchen line was blocked.

As he took off the kitchen trap placed the bag in the pipe adapted the faucet for a hose and he started running the water

It went up the stack to other apartments (back to back) and caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages

Same with using a water jetter in a line that has no flow .. Terrible idea inside a building

It only takes one mistake

Sam76

Reaction score
Luckily my cleanout is outside BUT right on the other side of my porch! As soon as the water was turned on the crap literally oozed right out the pipe. I had quite a mess to clean up. I can only imagine that mess indoors!
I definitely won't call that plumber back out ever.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Sam, you seem like a decent man as in some localities if someone is performing sewer or drain cleaning and has an over flow they have to clean up the mess they created. My employees use bleach and plastic bags and wash the area down

Today everything is "toxic " or hazmat and there are cleaning companies that come behind the drain cleaning company and remove this waste so it does not cause a nuisance or any bio health hazard

We live in a society that has the mindset we are all victims and we deserve . we are entitled to be compensated by someones failure to perform their job properly

I was hired a few months ago as an expert witness against one of them most prestigious hotels in Manhattan

Seems a so called "plumber" was hired to clear a 6" Durham waste system and he removed the clean out cap and flooded the kitchen and some cook was severely hurt slipping and falling covered with feces

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks