Main Panel Grounding Wire in Same Conduit as Service Entrance Cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billboe

Reaction score
I'm installing a meter socket & main panel on my new house. I've run 2" PVC conduit from the outside the house (where the meter socket will be) to the basement (where the main panel will be) for the service entrance cables.

Can I run the bare grounding cable (that connects to the grounding rods) in the same 2" conduit as the service entrance wires? Due to the fact that the house is already insulated and air sealed, it makes it difficult to make a new hole for the grounding cable.

Thanks!

Billboe

Billboe

Reaction score
thanks for the reply hj... yeah, i know it is a small hole, but...

the house is super tight (continuous membrane around the entire house) and we'd like to avoid another hole if possible. plus, the continuous air sealing membrane (where the sealing would ideally take place) is buried under blown-in insulation.

anyway, does anyone know if my original question is a no-no?

thanks!

Bgard

Reaction score
230.7 exception 1 of the NEC allows the grounding electrode conductor to run in the same raceway as the service conductors.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try to remember it this way...even though neutral may be tied to ground for safety, neutral as well as L1 and L2 are all current carrying conductors, and must be properly insulated.

Stuff

Reaction score
How is the bare cable (GEC) going to exit the conduit on the outside of the house? I doubt the power company would allow it to go through the meter can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks