Main natural gas shut off bleeding?

Users who are viewing this thread

KevinPrz

Reaction score
I turned off my gas at the meter, which I've done before. I'm going to be taking off a union and adding a tee for a dryer in the basement - very minimal and all new pipe work is already measured and assembled.

However I noticed after bleeding the line through my stove - when I go back 5 minutes later it will lite for a second again then go out. Is it normal for gas to bleed slightly through the meter shut offs?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No, but they usually do NOT want you turning it on and off there. In fact, in some areas, if you turn the meter off, it will "lock out", and utility company will have to come and reset it, at the same time asking WHY it was turned off and if the city approved the revision and issued a clearance to turn it back on.

KevinPrz

Reaction score
I like that idea myself... The first connection I'm putting in down from the union is a shut off. The meter is the only shut off today.

I'll give good ol' national grid a call and let them know their shut off sucks after I'm done with the work.

KevinPrz

Reaction score
They did not want to help out here, told me to "hire a plumber for the trouble with your appliance" lol... In the end, they're coming out to check it Wednesday. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to want the gas to be OFF when it's shut off.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I turned off my gas at the meter, which I've done before. I'm going to be taking off a union and adding a tee for a dryer in the basement - very minimal and all new pipe work is already measured and assembled.

However I noticed after bleeding the line through my stove - when I go back 5 minutes later it will lite for a second again then go out. Is it normal for gas to bleed slightly through the meter shut offs?

This is very common for gas to slightly bleed through a bit. Ive down lots of gas work and I see this all the time.

KevinPrz

Reaction score
This is very common for gas to slightly bleed through a bit. Ive down lots of gas work and I see this all the time.

Yep, I'm sure a pro wouldn't mind I just don't want to get stuck with a leak that I can't shut off.

I timed it again tonight and if I wait 5 minutes a single stove top burner will burn for about 7 seconds. I'm sure it's not all that dangerous but I'll see what national grid says tomorrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks