Main lines running from the street

Users who are viewing this thread

mjoyner

Reaction score
I have three 3/4 inch pvc pipes that run from the street to my house and supplies all of the water that I need. However, I know the path of the pipes and wanted to know if I can cut one of them and install a T connector and run a sprinkler system off of this supply? I don't see this being any different than running a brand new pipe somewhere or even simply plugging into a outside water outlet on the corner of my house. Any suggestions?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't tap into one of those pvc lines. Remember, you must have a backflow preventer such as a pressure vacuum breaker. And, if it gets cold where you live, you're going to have to winterize the system by blowing the water out of all the lines.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting that you have 3 pipes instead of one. But in answer to you question, yes, you can do that as Verdeboy described in his answer. You will need a stop-and-waste shutoff valve right after the irrigation line takes off, and a backflow preventer after that. My stop-and-waste is 5 feet underground and has a 6" PVC pipe as a manhole for the shutoff rod. The backflow is in the same control box as the shutoff and is just below the surface of the lawn. I remove the backflow in the fall just to make certain it doesn't freeze. I blow the water from the system with my own 7 HP 60 gallon compressor although it's slower than the big commercial units that can do the whole system in 5 minutes, it works and is free. I blow one line at a time, shut the air valve off while the compressor recharges the tank, and blow again. Once no more water comes out, it's done. My city requires the backflow valve be certified each spring by a licensed inspector. ($25) That's a lot more than you asked for, but there you are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks