Main line re-routed near electrical panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Is there a code or more details about how close your main line can run near your electrical main panel?
The tie in to the House is being moved and it may run closer to the panel than before? Typically what is observed for safety?

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
Could you clarify a little bit? Is the main line a water supply line? Drain?

If I recall correctly, there can be some limitations around an electric panel.

I believe California has some different codes than other places, so the best way to find out what to do may be to ask your local inspector.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's 6'.
Let Terry or HJ see this post.
Or call your water/electric dept and ask them, or ask your blgd inspector.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Is there a code or more details about how close your main line can run near your electrical main panel?
The tie in to the House is being moved and it may run closer to the panel than before? Typically what is observed for safety?
Nope We have GFCI Elec. outlets next to our Bathroom sinks. Just don't do anything stupid !

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
I believe the codes on this are rather specific. Something like 6ft above panel or to the structural ceiling. There is a specific area. The panel also needs to be accessible.

Don't assume anything on this. A main water line and a main electrical panel are not easy to move, so make sure its done correctly (to code) the first time.

I would think any of your local electricians should know the exact codes. Give them a call.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas has seperation requirement, I think just the meter but screwed pipe (iron). Water I dont think has a requirement at least copper, plastic might, drain lines cast iron no hub they are a little skitish around some electrical equiptment. I dont think that many or most electritions know all this stuff . The Codes are specific but The utility providers requirements often are not code but there own requirements must be met and they dont care what the city building inspector say. They decide where the meter goes as well. Best bet is be curteous with them. Ive had clearance issues with seperation of gas meter from electrical. It gets interesting. they argue gas meter gotta be so far away You tell them grab a tape measure your measuring from a pipe not from the meter, you are wrong they are right is how it works.

Stuff

Reaction score
NEC says that nothing is to be in the 30" wall space. No limitations on adjacent.
icc_249.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That would seem to permit a water pipe behind the panel, or a sewer pipe below the floor.

Stuff

Reaction score
That would seem to permit a water pipe behind the panel, or a sewer pipe below the floor.
Exactly. Go into a utility room and you will find things squeezed together. Old factories are the worst as things get added over the years and no clearance left.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go for it should be fine . You were talking a waterline and not a gas meter.
I dont know if requirements of the panel shown are the same as an electrical meter . Let us know if you get any backlash from Authority having jurisdiction. Good luck on project

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks