Main line backup after replacing toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

AC

Reaction score
Because the lid to our 1967 tank broke, we shopped for a new toilet. Sure wish we could have found a replacement lid to the old toilet. During these first two weeks that we've had the Toto, the line has been stopped up three or four times and water has backed up into the showers. On the day we first noticed the problem, we cleaned the line with the snake and that took care of it for about two days. On the second occurrence, I got on the forumn to see if the brand of toilet paper made a difference. I learned that Angel Soft would be better than my favorite Cottonelle, so I made the switch and thought I had solved the problem until I showered this morning and stood in water that was backing up yet again. Not fun. My superman husband is at work; unless I get out there with the snake myself, we'll have standing water the rest of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1) This is too late for you, but www.toilettanklids.com has lids for virtually any toilet ever made! Prices range from aroung $90 to about $600. Yes, $600 for a LID. Your decision.

2) Regarding your problem, it is dificult to blame the new toilet completely for these symptoms. True a newer toilet may not flush the way your old one die, meaning it might not clear the bowl. But as far as affecting the main drain itself, the lowere amount of water in the flush, especially if you add up multiple flushes and the other fixtures on the line, there should not be a problem. I believe it would be worthwhile to get a camera in there to look for an improperly sloped line, bad joint, or other problem.

3) Cottonelle is my favorite paper for reasons we don't need to go into! However, it is the WORST flusher. I have a pressure assist toilet and sometimes would take 3 flushes on the cottonelle; Costco paper goes down in one flush every time. Sorry if this is too much information!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have water backing up into the showers,

You have a main line plug.
Get someone with a large reel snake out and clear the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks