main floor washer basement washroom venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Dennis Patterson

Reaction score
Hi,
hoping you could take a look at these two diagrams and tell me if I need to install an aux vent to exterior above the roof or if I can use an aav in this case to satisfy code in ontario. Thanks for your assistance. Contractor gave me conflicting advice each time we talked so I'm not satisfied he knows whats what.

Attachments

• bathroom and washer plumb.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 644
  • bathroom and washer plumb_02.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 580

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need one vent through the roof to releave positive pressures.
The vent from the first floor must be tied in 6" "above" the flood level of the highest fixture. So that would mean 42" above the second floor.
When you run the washer down from the top floor, you must also have a vent between that and where the toilet enters in. That vent can revent at 42" above the next floor.
The purpose of "correct" venting, is to prevent traps from siphoning, which in turn lets smelly odors into the home. It's like living in an outhouse. I think we're way beyond that now. Pipe is so cheap, I don't get the novelty of shortchanging something important like that.

You need a vent for the toilet before you drop a washer into the line.
The washer can't be used as that vent. The washer tends to cause lots of problems with other fixtures if not installed right.

index.php

Here is an outhouse that my brother roofed.
No vent on this either. But at least it was in the woods.

index.php

You had to walk a ways to use the outhouse.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks