Main drain cleanout worn can't get a wrench on

Users who are viewing this thread

Joehome

Reaction score
My cleanout is outside made ABS plastic. Can not get wrench on it plastic rips off
the pipe is cast iron I sprayed it with WD4o and tried to hammer and chisel to get cap to turn
this did not work. Can I cut this out. I need to remove and replace so I snake the drain
Thanks Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds like you will need to remove it somehow. You can always get a new cap when you are finished. If you are snaking a main drain, using a powered machine, I would leave that to someone that uses them all the time. They are very dangerous in operation. If the cable starts to bind, and the cable is not pulled back quickly, it can wrap up anything nearby. There should be a foot switch with you foot nearby in case it wraps up the operator.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There should be a foot switch with you foot nearby

THere should be a foot switch with YOUR foot ON IT, so you can stop the machine IMMEDIATELY if necessary.

Joehome

Reaction score
Tried a pipe wrench did not work. I was going to drill 2 hole and put in 2 bolts and use a bar to turn it.
I will be using a hand snake

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a hole saw to put about a 1" hole in it, then use a hacksaw blade and cut to the edge but not into the threads. Pry out the pieces with a screw driver.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks