main burner BLOWS blows out pilot

Users who are viewing this thread

oscar1989

Reaction score
I have a newyorker rg170 3 closed loop standing pilot boiler in my basement.didnt use it for the first year , tried to fire it up last season and had to replace a gas valve,thermalcouple,and pilot it worked for all of two hours and the pilot went out. called service guy again he adjusted flame, installed a shield, still the same thing. the company said that they don't have any info says its to old, any help would be greatly appreciated. was wondering if it could be the main burner itself,thats about the only thing that didn't get replaced

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a newyorker rg170 3 closed loop standing pilot boiler in my basement.didnt use it for the first year , tried to fire it up last season and had to replace a gas valve,thermalcouple,and pilot it worked for all of two hours and the pilot went out. called service guy again he adjusted flame, installed a shield, still the same thing. the company said that they don't have any info says its to old, any help would be greatly appreciated. was wondering if it could be the main burner itself,thats about the only thing that didn't get replaced

You most likely have a draft condition that's blowing the pilot out

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

So a shield was left out of place ? Or it got blown off ?

If the pilot is not positioned properly then the burner can fill the chamber with gas , then when it does ignite the explosion can blow the flame out. The pilot flame also has to be heating the thermocouple when the Fan is running or not. If the fan affects the pilot then the fan may be creating a draft.

If you have Exchanger problems, you can look at the flame when the fan is running, to make sure the fan is not pushing air into the burn chamber. If it does then the heat exchanger has holes in it, and can be hazardous to your health.

The color of the flame should tell you if your Burner is burning properly.

Be careful playing with Gas.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So a shield was left out of place ? Or it got blown off ?

Not likely. The shield is an aftermarket fix for a pilot that is being effected by either a draft condition or a burner that is poorly adjusted.

If the pilot is not positioned properly then the burner can fill the chamber with gas , then when it does ignite the explosion can blow the flame out. The pilot flame also has to be heating the thermocouple when the Fan is running or not. If the fan affects the pilot then the fan may be creating a draft.

There is usually not much chance to position the pilot improperly, On his boiler the pilot assembly is attached to one of the burners. There's not much margin for screwing that up

If you have Exchanger problems, you can look at the flame when the fan is running, to make sure the fan is not pushing air into the burn chamber. If it does then the heat exchanger has holes in it, and can be hazardous to your health.

The color of the flame should tell you if your Burner is burning properly.

Be careful playing with Gas.

The boiler is a 30 plus year old, open log burner style. Chimner draft issues can cause the problem as can combustion air starvation. The boiler itself is so old and inefficient that putting another dime into it is a waste of money.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The boiler is a 30 plus year old, open log burner style. Chimner draft issues can cause the problem as can combustion air starvation. The boiler itself is so old and inefficient that putting another dime into it is a waste of money.

I guess I need to learn how to read better.

Excuse me for having my Head up my Ass.

It is a tough decision when you should give up on something Old.

The new stuff is yet to impress me, but they do have plenty of safety controls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks