Macerating/grinder sewage pump recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
I will be installing a macerating/grinding sewage ejection pump in my new basement remodel (new poured concrete floor) and have some experience replacing failed units in the past. Is there a consensus for some top of the line models? I found the Zoeller Shark. Others? Preferably a kit/system.

Thanks.

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
Really? I thought a macerating/grinding pump was worth it, instead of just a sewage pump. Or maybe I'm going overboard due to bad past experiences. The pump will be servicing a moderate-use bathroom (sink, shower, toilet), two kitchen sinks, a utility/laundry sink, a floor drain that will get heavy use (washing buckets and barrels in a homebrewing capacity) and a utility sink. Also, a clothes washer.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The Shark is an industreal pump and cost well over $1200.00.The one I suggested should work just fine for your application,it can handle up to 2" solids and costs $ 700.00 less.It does not come in a kit and will have to be plumbed to code,also your pit will have to be sealed and vented as you would for you directly connected plumbing.
Hope this helps.
Also you can repost on the pump and well forum they might help you more than I can.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind when installing sewage ejection systems of any type. If your pump is ejecting into a septic system, most codes require that the septic tank and leaching field be increased in capacity by 50% This is because those systems liquify solid wastes and that waste stays in suspension for long periods of time which can cause the natural bacterias that break waste down to die and your system to go into premature failure. Please consult your local code before proceeding unless you are on city sewer in which case, go to town.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind when installing sewage ejection systems of any type. If your pump is ejecting into a septic system, most codes require that the septic tank and leaching field be increased in capacity by 50% This is because those systems liquify solid wastes and that waste stays in suspension for long periods of time which can cause the natural bacterias that break waste down to die and your system to go into premature failure. Please consult your local code before proceeding unless you are on city sewer in which case, go to town.

Interesting point, and a good reason not to have a garbage disposal instead of a worm farm. Although the septics that I have installed with pumps have never stated on the plans NOT to use grinders. If its a city sewer, I would pump anything into it of any dimension that would go through a pump

On a septic, I would get a zoeller that passes big solids, and make sure the girls and female guests dont put anything made of cotton and nylon fibers into the toilet. And especially those butt wipes.

lacucina

Reaction score
Take a look at E/One grinder pumps for your application

Environment One (E/One) pioneered the concept of grinder pump stations back in the 60's and makes one of the better units in the market. They have outdoor units and also an indoor unit that is meant to go in a garage or basement slab. It can be installed on the slab or partially installed in the slab. It has a 90 gallon storage capacity and is their model IH091-IDU. You can check it out at their website www.eone.com.

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
sure looks nice lacucina, but there are two hits against it. 1, you only have one post! 2, e/one isn't available in Oregon, where I am. And I bet they're expensive products.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks