Maax drain install question

Users who are viewing this thread

jadedpuppy

Reaction score
I bought a Maax acrylic shower base and am a little confused about the drain installation.

The shower base I bought is here: http://www.maax.com/en/utilitypages/productdetail.aspx?productID={C3A12DE8-1882-4771-8D07-BB91ED74E1CF}
Here is the install instructions: http://www.maax.com/~/media/docs/Installation guides/10029775_2012-06-28.pdf

If you open up the install instructions, you will two figures on page 8. Figures B and C. In figure B, it looks like the black rubber gasket goes on top of the shower base and hte cardboard gasket goes under the base. But in figure C it looks like both the cardboard and rubber gasket go under the shower base. Obviously both cannot be correct.

The instructions seem to indicate that figure C is the correct depiction. Here is the quote: "Install rubber gasket then cardboard gasket on the top part of the drain coming out under the base." If that is correct, this means that the seal is accomplished only with the caulking on the top of the base? Is that correct?

Any help would greatly be appreciated, I am not a seasoned plumber by any stretch :)

Apply silicone around the edge of the drain hole in the base (surface between the top part of the drain and the base).

Insert la top part of the drain in the drain hole.

Install rubber gasket then cardboard gasket
on the top part of the drain coming out under the base.

Screw bottom part of drain on top part of drain under the base.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Both gaskets go on the bottom. The rubber gasket comes in contact with the bottom of the base the cardboard gasket goes under the rubber gasket. It acts as a friction ring to prevent the rubber gasket from spinning when you tighten the nut.

John

jadedpuppy

Reaction score
Both gaskets go on the bottom. The rubber gasket comes in contact with the bottom of the base the cardboard gasket goes under the rubber gasket. It acts as a friction ring to prevent the rubber gasket from spinning when you tighten the nut.

John

Thanks for the reply.

The rubber gasket would not spin though, since the bottom section of drain is glued to the PVC pipe leading into the trap. So the "nut" part of the drain (the female part with the threading) stays in place below the shower base itself. The male part of the drain is the only part that spins. Maybe I'm not understanding you though?

Doesn't that mean that the only seal is the caulking then? Isn't that kind of bad? (Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding this, maybe this is normal for shower drains)

Would I then replace the caulking every year or so?

Last edited:

jadedpuppy

Reaction score
Taken from your instructions...

"Screw bottom part of drain on top part of drain under the base."

Ah, so your saying that I shouldn't have glued the bottom part to the PVC already? Yeah, maybe that is what they meant in the instructions. Screwing in the "male" (top) part though won't really make a difference though. It's the same thing really.

My question/problem about the caulking being the only real "seal" still stands though. Is that normal for drains?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, because of the way the drain appears to be constructed, the entire seal is the rubber gasket between the bottom of the shower and the top of the drain "body". Any leakage at the caulking would just flow into the drain body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks