Lowering drain height

Users who are viewing this thread

Morlikster

Reaction score
Hi, what is the best way to lower the height to the drain with minimal changes? ..I've thought about capping off the left horizontal at the 4 way and using 2 tees .

Thoughts, suggestions?
20220712_203424.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume you just want to lower the capped inlet on the left, without lowering the bottom horizontal drain? Or do you want to lower the standpipe and its trap as well?

If you don't lower the standpipe and trap, then you need to raise your horizontal vent, it's supposed to be 6" above the fixture flood rims, which includes the top of the standpipe. So you could do something like the drawing below, where the straight line segments are pieces of pipe, and the other drawings are fittings.

The lower left is a new wye cut into the horizontal drain, with a street san-tee on the inlet, and a street 45 on top to turn the vent vertical. I didn't draw it in as new, but it's probably easiest to replace the double san-tee and cleanout combo as well, just rebuild everything from the left edge of the photo towards the right.

Cheers, Wayne

20220712_203424.jpg

Morlikster

Reaction score
I assume you just want to lower the capped inlet on the left, without lowering the bottom horizontal drain? Or do you want to lower the standpipe and its trap as well?

If you don't lower the standpipe and trap, then you need to raise your horizontal vent, it's supposed to be 6" above the fixture flood rims, which includes the top of the standpipe. So you could do something like the drawing below, where the straight line segments are pieces of pipe, and the other drawings are fittings.

The lower left is a new wye cut into the horizontal drain, with a street san-tee on the inlet, and a street 45 on top to turn the vent vertical. I didn't draw it in as new, but it's probably easiest to replace the double san-tee and cleanout combo as well, just rebuild everything from the left edge of the photo towards the right.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 84957
Thanks for the advice. It looks like the utility sink takes a 1 1/2" drain. Where would i reduce in this scenario?

You mention rebuild the right side the same as left. Wouldnt that route the P trap ou instead of forward? Could I just cap off the left side of the double tee and extend the vent as instructed call it a day?

Morlikster

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 84957

something like this? basically lowering the whole standpipe and trap instead of raising the height of the horizontal vent?

20220712_203424.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, that last diagram works, although you've eliminated the cleanout. You also need to double check the washer manual on the minimum height for the standpipe to be sure it still complies. And then decide which solution is less trouble--in the above you'd have to extend the water lines.

As for the utility sink trap arm being 1-1/2", just use a san-tee with a 1-1/2" side inlet, or a 2" side-inlet and a 2 x 1-1/2" bushing to make it 1-1/2".

Cheers, Wayne

Morlikster

Reaction score
Yes, that last diagram works, although you've eliminated the cleanout. You also need to double check the washer manual on the minimum height for the standpipe to be sure it still complies. And then decide which solution is less trouble--in the above you'd have to extend the water lines.

As for the utility sink trap arm being 1-1/2", just use a san-tee with a 1-1/2" side inlet, or a 2" side-inlet and a 2 x 1-1/2" bushing to make it 1-1/2".

Cheers, Wayne
Gotcha. I'll lower the washer setup on the right. I haven't connected any water lines yet. The washer annual stat3s a min. 29" so it'll work. I'll also add a test tee above the wye to use as a cleanout and put a removable panel in the wall for access.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, that last diagram works, although you've eliminated the cleanout. You also need to double check the washer manual on the minimum height for the standpipe to be sure it still complies.
Typically, the max height for the washer drain is 96 inches higher than the floor. They sell extenders.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks