Lowboy under countertop

Users who are viewing this thread

justinae

Reaction score
I've got a project converting a garage into a studio apartment. When the design was originally done we were going to use radiant heat so the architect never spec'd out a place for a hot water tank. That has now changed and we need to find a place for it. Right now the plan is to put it under the kitchen countertop. It's an outside corner next to an exterior wall so it won't be competing visually with other cabinets. Here are the tanks we're considering:

AO Smith ECL-50
Whirlpool E2F50LD045V
American E62-50L-045DV
Reliance 6 50 DOLS
GE GE47S06AAG

The American has the best specs at 31 5/8" tall by 24" in diameter. I'm concerned that there won't be enough room to make the connections to the supply lines. I'm assuming the dimensions are just for the tank and not the supply stubs.

Anyone ever install one like this before?

thanks,
Justin

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Electric water heaters could be condsidered a commodity, like pork bellies. Not much real difference from one to the next. Yes, the pipes almost always come off the top.

justinae

Reaction score
Yeah AO makes one that comes out the sides but it's only 38 gallon. I think we'll go with the American just for being the shortest. We'll just have to have a 90 degree fitting coming right off the tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is the connection between radiant heat and a hot water tank? They serve two different purposes. One is for space heating, and the other is for "cleaning" uses.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
out here radiant floor heat is often connected into the potable water supply.

Exactly, therefore, it WOULD have needed a hot water heating unit of some kind, to supply BOTH needs.​

justinae

Reaction score
original design had gas on demand unit for both radiant and potable hot water. without the radiant floor, and subsequently gas, we need an electric water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks