Low well water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

floraudowell

Reaction score
A totally new homeowner on a well water system. Experiencing low water pressure has slowed in recent weeks to a trickle. "Clean" gray sandy sediment found in a bathtub and toilet tanks and in the filter. Changed filter. Less sand. Pressure still slow. Checked the pressure on the tank and reads 28PSI. Restarted system and pressure switch clicked off at 58PSI. Only know enough to realize this is a total novice question: 30-50 or 40-60? What should I change? Should I change something? How do I know etc?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Shutting off at 58 means it should come back on at 38, and you need about 35 PSI air in the tank. If the gauge is reading anywhere from 38 to 58 while the shower is running, you should have plenty of pressure. Filters are still clogged, a valve is partially closed, or there is some other restriction in the line. Make sure it is not just the shower head clogged up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Experiencing low water pressure has slowed in recent weeks to a trickle. "Clean" gray sandy sediment found in a bathtub and toilet tanks and in the filter. Changed filter. Less sand. Pressure still slow.
While you are at it , you might as well try to get rid of junk in the pressure tank and piping. Use the drain valve at the base of the pressure tank to try to push out some sediment. Turn off the pump. Drain the water. Look at how much crap comes out. Turn on the pump, and repeat as long as you see stuff coming out.

On your pressure switch, if you want to try to save it, turn the differential nut CCW. That is the nut on the small spring. The small spring will usually be almost loose. So reduce the differential to 20 psi.

Then change the range nut (on the big spring) to change both the cut-in and cut-out together. 3.5 turns CW is about 10 psi higher. CCW lowers both pressures.

If you cannot adjust the old switch as you want, replace the pressure switch. I have mine set to 38/58 on purpose. I forget whether I started with a 30/50, or a 40/60. Turn the nut on the big spring CW to raise both the cut-in and cut-out together. Expect the differential to be already set to 20 psi on a new switch.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks