Low water pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Foxhunter, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I'm stumped and need help. I'm losing water pressure in my home. I have a submersable with a 1 inch line coming in. That line runs into a cycle stop valve which goes to a check valve then through the T into a pressure tank. The pressure switch is set 40/60. What it's doing is as soon as I turn on the water the pressure drops to half at least and if I run two things at a time it trickles out. Some of the things I have done replaced the pressure switch. Drained the tank and refilled the bladder to 38psi. One other thing I did was connect a hose to the pressure tank which I had a lot of pressure coming out and also when I turned on the faucet I didn't loose the pressure at the sink. Thanks in advance.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

A check valve there is not normal. I don't quite know how that would result in the symptom you see, however, unless your check valve leaked a lot.

If the pressure went to near zero at those loads, I would think that those loads are before the check valve.

Anyway, I would take the check valve out, or remove its innards so that it passes water all of the time.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Do you have any filters that could be clogged?

5. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I do have a culligan system with a filter but that has been changed as well. I put the check valve on before the pressure tank thinking the water was draining back into the well. The home is only two years old which all the lines are open in the basement and I have no leaks. It was also losing the pressure before I added the check valve.

6. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I do have a culligan filter but that has been changed as well.

7. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    If you have a bypass for the filter, open it. What does the pressure gauge on the pressure tank before the water softener say when you are seeing low pressure in the house?

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

What does the pressure gauge indicate while the faucets trickle?

valveman likes this.
  9. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I will check after work thanks.

10. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I don't believe it has a bypass but I will check both after work thanks

11. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

The gauge reads 58psi before it gets turned on then slowly drops to 40 and kicks back on up to 60psi. Once I shut everything off again it holds right about 58psi again. I did have a bypass and opened it but made no difference either way at the faucet.

12. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

The gauge drops to the 40psi cut on and runs up to 60psi and kicks off the water pressure slowly builds back up then drops again once it drops off again.

13. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

So you know that the problem is after the pressure tank. You know the problem is before the split off to the water heater input, or else the problem would affect just cold or just hot.

Look for a cartridge filter, or maybe a crushed pipe, or maybe the valve after the pressure tank is partially closed.

valveman likes this.
  14. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

The only cartridge filter I have is for the culligan so I will change that one back out. I did double check all of the valves and crushed lines and haven't found any

15. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

When you open a cartridge filter, you would like to have a spare O-ring -- in case you cannot get the old one back in. You want to lightly lube o-rings with silicone grease when putting an o-ring in -- used or new.

16. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    If the cartridge isn't dirty, it is probably just too small a sieve size.

17. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I had the chance to pull the filter and it was dirty but also what I found was the top washer on the filter was off center and restricting the volume of water I ran the water without the filter for a couple minutes and the pressure was really good so now I replaced it with the new one. Thank you so much with the help

18. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

I had the chance to pull the filter and it was dirty but also what I found was the top washer on the filter was off center and restricting the volume of water I ran the water without the filter for a couple minutes and the pressure was really good so now I replaced it with the new one. Thank you so much with the help

19. Foxhunter

Foxhunter New Member

Fantastic site so happy I found it!!!