Low water pressure & PSI not using correct cut-in/cut-out

Users who are viewing this thread

ekrengel

Reaction score
Hello,

We are having an issue with our water pressure. With the water running, I was watching the pressure gauge, and the PSI seems to be staying at around 50-55. My current settings should be as followed:
  • Cut-in = 40
  • Cut-out = 60

I thought the pressure control switch might be going bad, but it seems to be turning off the pump correctly (about after a min which has been normal for our pump), so it's not short cycling or anything like that. It doesn't appear that the pressure gauge is "stuck" either because it does move a little bit, but the reading is definitely false because our water pressure is low.

I also did some inspections on the tank...what I checked on the tank:
  1. Condensation goes about half way up (I read this is normal)
  2. Tapped the tank from the bottom up, and had different sound after about half way (that was normal)

Does anyone have any recommendations for anything else I should check?...Or what might be causing the bad water pressure or not accurate cut-in/out? I know it could be a whole number of things...but maybe the next logical steps that I can check on my own.

Thanks!

ekrengel

Reaction score
I actually just read the sticky on the pressure tank maintenace...and I think I might have found part of my problem. About 2 months ago I increased the settings on my pressure control switch. It was at about 20/40, and I increased it to 40/60. So I adjusted settings without adjusting the air charge...

So I believe I answered my own question on what to do next, which is check the air pressure in the tank, and adjust it (to 38 PSI). If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

ekrengel

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah that's probably best to replace just in-case it really is giving me a wrong reading.

Would I follow the same beginning steps for changing the pressure gauge as I would to charge the tank?
  1. Turn off power to pump
  2. Open faucet until water stop coming out of the tap
It also looks like it just screws off...would any gauge from lowes be fine? Or is there a recommended one to use? I need to find a cheap air compressor too, to charge the tank.

ekrengel

Reaction score
So just an update...my pressure is now working correctly!

I replaced the pressure gauge, which appeared to be clogged a little bit from hard water, so I'm glad I replaced that. And I also charged the tank to the correct pressure. But, all of this was not my issue...it was a stupid valve!

Apparently, the previous owner had it partially closed (recently bought the house), because it is leaky. When I started checking it and had the water running from a faucet, then opened the valve all the way...the water started flowing like it should be. I was stunned and amazed that it was something so stupid and simple.

Anyway, that was it. But now I need to replace that valve since it is leaking when all the way open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks