Low water pressure problem in kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

LBrandt

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Price-Pfister 2 handle kitchen faucet (model number 36 H86), and I'm getting very, very little pressure from both the hot and the cold sides. I know that there's no problem with city pressure, because I'm getting excellent pressure from every other faucet in the house. I also know that the input valves under the sink are fully open.

Isn't it most likely that the problem is in the center (is the correct word "mixer") under the spigot? And if so, what should I be looking to replace there?

And if it's only in the center, shouldn't I be able to do the repair without turning off the water supply as long as I leave the cold and hot valves closed?

Thanks,
Louis

LBrandt

Reaction score
I've already done that, and the pressure is no greater even when the aerator is off.

Thanks,
Louis

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if Moen does, but some faucets use a metal screen filter in their hoses to try to keep crud from the cartridge. YOu might take the hoses off, check the flow out of the shutoffs, and check for a filter screen.

LBrandt

Reaction score
Jim,
Thanks for the reply, but I installed the faucet myself a few years ago. I used hoses that I purchased from Home Depot. These were not Moen hoses. I think that if the problem were in the hoses, it would be unlikely that BOTH hoses were bad or filled with crud. My thinking is (and I'm not a plumber by any means) is that the problem is in the "center" where the hot and cold come together.

Thanks again,
Louis

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the home 60's or older?
Sometimes the short sections of galvanized pipes are blocked where it meets the brass shutoff.
If you disconnect the supply lines to the faucet, you can determine if you have flow before the faucet.

LBrandt

Reaction score
No, the home was built in 1973. And to answer Redwood's question, I just checked the side spray, and I get good pressure from it. Interestingly, when I use the side sprayer, some water comes out of the center spout.

Thanks again,
Louis

LBrandt

Reaction score
Thanks again Redwood. Your analysis sounds like the right one.
Yes, I did type the model number in wrong. You're right, it's the H36.

Yes, I've ordered parts from Price-Pfister before. One more question: If the diverter is under the spout, I shouldn't have to turn the main water off to the faucets, should I? I mean, if I leave the hot and cold handles turned off, there won't be any water coming through when I remove the spout to get to the diverter, will there?

Thanks again,
Louis

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep just leave the hot and cold handles off and you will be fine.
The water that is in the gooseneck spout will leak out but that is all.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to order a new "O" Ring for the spout while you are getting parts as well.

Last edited:

Steve Miller

Reaction score
I have the same problem and ordered a replacement valve which was plastic but mine is brass. Will the plastic one work? It looks to be held on with a clip, but mine appears to have a collet of some sort holding it in place. I have seen that there are 2 different part numbers from Price Pfister but this is the one I received. I never use the sprayer anyway (it sticks open), can I bypass the valve completely and leave it off?
Thanks

Last edited:

Steve Miller

Reaction score
Never mind, I just went and got a Moen today and put it in instead of fooling around with the Price, thanks anyway

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks