Low water pressure on hot side

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve1968

Reaction score
Ok folks i need some help so i will give you all the info i can.

When we turn on the hot water it is just a trickle on all hot faucets.

i have tried running water out the bottom with the water supply on to clear out any sediment but all i get from the also is a trickle and white specks.

Today i turned off the main water supply and tried to drain the tank and nothing came out it was like the drain was stopped up. So i went and turned the main back on and the water started to drain out the bottom again but still in a trickle.

Now to my question:
Shouldnt there be water in the tank when i open the value on the bottom to drain it?
Isnt that the purpose of a water tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
You should either get the WH replaced, or you should clean and flush out the WH yourself. Draining is not flushing.

Since your drain valve is clogged, you will need some extra stuff and effort to clean the junk out.

Reach4

Reaction score
That being said shouldnt it have water in it when i open the drain?
It does, but your drain is blocked by debris.

I would put a full flow or better ball valve in there. There is some discussions on that.

Steve1968

Reaction score
but why does anything come out when its open with the main water off and flows when the main water is on?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not only the WH drain faucet is plugged up with minerals, the hot side outlet on the top of the WH is possibly plugged up too, not allowing hot water to go around the house.

How old is the WH?
Can you send pictures?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
but why does anything come out when its open with the main water off and flows when the main water is on?
When you hold your thumb over the top of a straw, the water will not drain because you don't let the air in to replace the water. Plumbers will often replace the heating element on a hot water tank without draining it because the water doesn't come out unless there is pressure or air allowed into it.

Low flow on the hot can be from clogged up heat traps. If the drain is mostly clogged with sediment, the same sediment can find its way into the heat traps and keep them from opening.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
i have tried running water out the bottom with the water supply on to clear out any sediment but all i get from the also is a trickle and white specks.
One trick that @Terry uses it to connect one end of a wash machine supply hose to the drain port and the other end to the cold supply for the washer. Then with some hot taps open, if the heat traps are not stuck, there should be enough flow to unclog the drain.

I found that tapping on the side of the hot outlet on the tank that it might get the heat trap unstuck. Helps to have all the hot water taps turned on to max the flow, and then just turn the cold supply to the tank off and on while also tapping on heat trap. Eventually it should unclog.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Open a hot tap when you are trying to drain.
I've seen a plumber pull the lever on a TPR to let air in. That is if it not all crusted shut. Homeowners should not try that unless they have easy access to a new TPR in case it gets stuck open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks