Low water pressure - now changing filter every 5 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Carney

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am on a well with a whole-home filter. I normally lose pressure every 4-6 months, which prompts me to change filter. Now it is literally every 5-7 days. I put new filter in, pressure is great then reduces drastically. Well tank is set to 40-60 and drains appropriately (no pump kicking on/off - pressure gets bad and stays bad). I'm using the black carbon filters (which I've always used) so it is hard to tell how bad the sediment really is. A few questions:

1) Is it possible that my well has just gotten to a point where there is a ton of sediment all of the sudden? Been in this house 13 years and never been this bad.

2) could the pressure tank be filled with sediment and just needs a good draining? I always thought what goes in goes right back out, for the most part.

3) What about a spin-down filter prior to the carbon filter?

Thanks for the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm using the black carbon filters (which I've always used) so it is hard to tell how bad the sediment really is.
Are you saying that you don't see stuff caked on your clogged filter or collected in the bottom of the filter sump? In that case, a spin down filter would not be what you need.
1) Is it possible that my well has just gotten to a point where there is a ton of sediment all of the sudden? Been in this house 13 years and never been this bad.
Could be.
2) could the pressure tank be filled with sediment and just needs a good draining? I always thought what goes in goes right back out, for the most part.
No need to guess. Drain and flush the tank a few times. Catch the stuff in a bucket if convenient. See what settles. Flushing out the pressure tank is routine. Figure once per year unless conditions call for something else.

3) What about a spin-down filter prior to the carbon filter?

Are you talking about a carbon block filter? Those clog easily and have high back pressure. A spin down filter would be good if you have some bigger stuff, up to sand size, coming in. They are not good for little stuff. Instead, you want to go to a conventional filter first. Right now, just get a 5 micron filter that fits in your existing housing. If you want to keep a carbon block, you will want to add more filters before.

What is your cartridge size? If you add a cartridge filter, I would make that 20x4.5. I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pressure is just low and stays low (pump not cycling on and off) then the sediment you have been pumping has probably worn out the pump. It should be cycling on and off like crazy when you are using water. Filtering will keep it out of the house, but will still wear out the pump. Developing the well a bit might get the sand out so you don't have to filter so much and make your pump last longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks