Low water pressure moen shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Das

Reaction score
I am new to this form. I'm scatching my head on this one, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have replaced a leaking moen cartridge and it worked fine for a few days. I pulled the cartridge out and ran it without a cartridge in it to remove any debri, there was no change. I have the same unit in the downstairs and exchanged the cartridges and had no change in pressure from either unit. I examined the inside of the valve. It looks clean. I removed the down spout and shower head, then blew it out with air and no debri was found.

Anyone have any ideas? It's got me stumped. Thank you.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If it was a Moen plastic stem you may have a peace of rubber from the old stem blocking the water passage. Try removing the new stem and have someone turn on the water. Just for a second or two. This should remove the upstruction. Try not to turn the stem when removing it.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

What kind of Moen valve? If you have a Moentrol, there is a balancing spool on the right side under the large trim ring, and that could be where you are losing pressure.

Das

Reaction score
If it was a Moen plastic stem you may have a peace of rubber from the old stem blocking the water passage. Try removing the new stem and have someone turn on the water. Just for a second or two. This should remove the upstruction. Try not to turn the stem when removing it.

John

Thanks for answering johnjh201
I got a oem moen brass stem. I flushed it with water and then isolated and flushed with air.

Das

Reaction score
What kind of Moen valve? If you have a Moentrol, there is a balancing spool on the right side under the large trim ring, and that could be where you are losing pressure.

Thanks for answering hj
I don't know which valve it is? It's the orginal 25, 28 years old, it looks in good shape. I have replaced the cartridge before and had no trouble and I have 2 of the same units in my house. I did look to see if there where any adjustments and there are none. Is there any good way to make sure I cleaned out valve and left no obstruction in it? I did it with water and air.I feel like I'm missing something simple:confused:

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
25-28yrs old, sounds like a standard moen valve, if both the screws for the faceplate are located directly below the valve handle it a regular non pressure balance valve. See if there are screwdriver stops on the valve body, if so, there may be build up in them. Try and remove to clean. You will need to shut the water down for the whole house before removing..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The regular and Moentrol valves use the same unit so that does not tell you which you have, unless it is labeled on the trim ring. Take the round disc off and see if there is a large cap with a screwdriver slot at the right side of the valve body.

Das

Reaction score
25-28yrs old, sounds like a standard moen valve, if both the screws for the faceplate are located directly below the valve handle it a regular non pressure balance valve. See if there are screwdriver stops on the valve body, if so, there may be build up in them. Try and remove to clean. You will need to shut the water down for the whole house before removing..

Thanks for answering C NUMB

I'm pretty sure it's a standard valve. Orginal 28 year old track home. There are 2 screws under the valve handle. I will check to see if there are screwdriver stops. thx again

Das

Reaction score
The regular and Moentrol valves use the same unit so that does not tell you which you have, unless it is labeled on the trim ring. Take the round disc off and see if there is a large cap with a screwdriver slot at the right side of the valve body.

I'll check to see if there are any screws to adjust it. I'm pretty sure it's a regular valve with 2 screws on the bottom under the handle. Thx again hj.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

There are NO SCREWS TO ADJUST IT. You are reading things into the replies which are nto there. You are looking for a pressure balancing spool which might need to be replaced if your valve has one.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
hj, the screw placement in the Moentrol and Positemps are 1 at the lower left and one at the top right of handle. If memory serves me correctly these type valves came on the market close to 1990. The old moen valve (non-pressure balanced) trim with the 2 screws located blow handle with not fit a Moentrol valve body. Moen just came out a conversion kit to adapt new trim styles on the older non-pressure valve bodies.

Here are a couple pictures:
The old valve w/ screwdiver stops: Blockage maybe in the stop bodies

picture.php

The New Moentrol w/ screwdiver stops/ balancing spool:
picture.php

A cut detail of the Moentrol stop,spool,cartridge
picture.php

A Positemp w/screwdiver stops: Balancer is built into the cartridge
picture.php

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most times those spools can be soaked in a little vinegar to break them free and then cleaned with 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper and new O rings installed...the hard part can be getting the brass cover off the valve...

Nice cut away view of the valve....

Das

Reaction score
There are NO SCREWS TO ADJUST IT. You are reading things into the replies which are nto there. You are looking for a pressure balancing spool which might need to be replaced if your valve has one.

Hj thx for all the help, but almost 30 years is a pretty good run hehe and I need a working shower. So I took the jump and replaced it:)

Das

Reaction score
hj, the screw placement in the Moentrol and Positemps are 1 at the lower left and one at the top right of handle. If memory serves me correctly these type valves came on the market close to 1990. The old moen valve (non-pressure balanced) trim with the 2 screws located blow handle with not fit a Moentrol valve body. Moen just came out a conversion kit to adapt new trim styles on the older non-pressure valve bodies.

Here are a couple pictures:
The old valve w/ screwdiver stops: Blockage maybe in the stop bodies

picture.php

picture.php

A cut detail of the Moentrol stop,spool,cartridge
picture.php

A Positemp w/screwdiver stops: Balancer is built into the cartridge
picture.php

c numb thx for the help, I went and replaced it almost 30 is a good run

Das

Reaction score
Most times those spools can be soaked in a little vinegar to break them free and then cleaned with 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper and new O rings installed...the hard part can be getting the brass cover off the valve...

Nice cut away view of the valve....

Thx cass, but I took the leap and got a new one.

master.legend

Reaction score
ok so I have been researching and reading this forum and I have this moen below. I just bought a short saled house where it was vacant for 8 months so the shower did not get any use. When i turned it on i get full cold but no hot at all! The rest of the house and even that bathroom sink gets hot water. So i researched and replaced the cartridge which thank god came out fully with all orings attached. I installed put back together and dam still no HOT water. So I came accross this post and was wondering what else I can do? Do I need to mess with that large screw which I guess is the balancing spool?I read about white vinegar but humm? So any answers guys??
Thanks Louis
picture.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks