Low water pressure after changing handle valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jlwevans

Reaction score
My tub faucet was leaking so I replaced the valves in the two handles for hot and cold. Since changing the valves, I am getting much lower water pressure coming out. It is so low that when you turn either the cold or the hot on and then you turn the other one on, you notice no change in pressure at all. I made sure to match up the valve number on the bottom of the valve so I know I have to correct one. Any ideas??

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
jlwevans said:
My tub faucet was leaking so I replaced the valves in the two handles for hot and cold. Since changing the valves, I am getting much lower water pressure coming out. It is so low that when you turn either the cold or the hot on and then you turn the other one on, you notice no change in pressure at all. I made sure to match up the valve number on the bottom of the valve so I know I have to correct one. Any ideas??

It would help to know what brand of valves we are talking about. Also, valves are not in the handles, the handle generally screws on to a valve stem.

If you really did replace the valve stems, I would remove them and check for gunk that might be blocking the flow of water. Perhaps the old rubber washers broke off and are mucking things up.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Im with Verdeboy check an see if the old washers are on the old stems. If they are be sure the washers are the same as the ones on the old stems.

There are flat washers and cone shaped. Did you change the seats also?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your description is a little vague. One thing for sure, you need to turn off the water and take the valve stems out again for inspection. Some debris may have gotten in there, or something may have happened to the washers during reassembly.

Often, only one stem is at fault, but from your description we cannot tell if it is one or both. Just take them both out for inspection.

Jlwevans

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to type valve stems. Thanks for the information...it is very possible that there is something blocking it. These are plastic valve stems and I do not have the model number of them with me but the replacements that I bought were from Moen. When I pulled both of the stems out, the back half seperated from the rest and remained inside the valve body. I had to work them our with some needle nose pliers. I thought that I got it all out but I may have very well missed something. I will check it tonight when I get home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks