Low water flow rate from kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
We installed a new faucet about 2 years ago and all was working well. It is a Krause single side handle. Recently we noticed that the flow rate had decreased for the cold side. After a few more days the hot side also had decreased. We closed and opened the valves under the sink and it actually decreased the flow more. Now the cold side is just a little dribble and hot side is a little better, but not like the flow we had initially. We checked the faucet head to see if there was any blockage, but nothing there. What could be the issue here and how to fix?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first thing to try is to remove the aerator and clean it. If you look at the side of the aerator that the water enters you will probably see a very small o- ring. Remove that and reinstall.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
The first thing to try is to remove the aerator and clean it. If you look at the side of the aerator that the water enters you will probably see a very small o- ring. Remove that and reinstall.

Since the flow rate seems to differ between hot and cold do you think it might be the shut off valves that have gone bad and need to be replaced? When I closed it fully and the reopened the hot valve the flow rate was decreased more and same for the cold valve. Can I replace the valves with 1/4 turn valves and that might solve the issue for me? Here are pics of the valves under my sink:

Valve 1.jpg
Valve 2.jpg
Valve 3.jpg

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since the flow rate seems to differ between hot and cold do you think it might be the shut off valves that have gone bad and need to be replaced? When I closed it fully and the reopened the hot valve the flow rate was decreased more and same for the cold valve. Can I replace the valves with 1/4 turn valves and that might solve the issue for me? Here are pics of the valves under my sink:

View attachment 77727 View attachment 77728 View attachment 77729
Disconnect the hot and cold supplies and put a bucket underneath and open valve and see if you have good pressure there first

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those shutoffs look like they've been there a long time. On a multi-turn valve, the washer in it tends to get brittle as it ages (usually takes a long time, and water conditions affect it too)...when you shut it off and put pressure on it, that can cause it to break apart. So, replacing the shutoffs may help and won't hurt, but if the washers have broken apart, a chunk or two could have gotten into the hoses.

TO be on the safe side, it's always a good idea to replace the shutoffs when replacing the faucet at the sink or toilet. That applies to the hoses as well if they're a separate item from the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks