Low Volume Water Softener (8 gal./week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron51

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a humidifier that says not to use hard water. I am wondering if I fill a gallon jug will some pellets, add my hard water and shake. Then let it sit for a day. Would that soften my 19 grain tap water? I understand about sodium (or potassium) ions in the pellets replacing the calcium or magnesium in the water.

Thanks
Ron

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you are calling softener resin pellets. They are more commonly called beads. If you mean salt pellets, no, that will not work.

With resin beads, your idea should work. After you use water, top it up again. Keep the resin wet. Rather than shake, I think I would just turn it over, so the beads fall through, a couple times.
Figure 1 cup of resin would be good for about 8 gallons. That calculation has some margin to it, figuring a pessimistic 20000 grains of softening per cubic ft, and 20 grains of hardness.

After some number of uses, you will regenerate by adding salt, and letting that sit for maybe a day. Then you will drain and rinse. I just measured a Morton System Saver II salt pellet at 0.011 pounds. So to regenerate, I suggest 11 pellets, and top up with water. This is almost 15 pounds of salt per cubic ft of resin. Let it sit overnight. Those salt pellets should totally dissolve no problem. Drain and refill a couple of times to rinse, and then refill with with water for the next batch.

There are going to be about 3600 pellets in a 40 pound bag. That bag will last years. You could actually get by with maybe 5 or 6 pellets, but the cost savings would be minimal.

I could have made a mistake in the math, so you can go over it. There are
0.008355 cubic ft in a cup, or almost 120 cups in a cubic ft.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
And HOW, would you get this "soft water" into the humidifier? if you just pour it in, then use bottled water, or install a reverse osmosis system at your sink.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks