Low tub spout pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Itsward

Reaction score
I recently replaced my tub faucet and shower with a moen single lever handle. I previously had a moen in there before that was a push pull. I believe it was a moen mpact 62700 model. It had great pressure but the new one does not. The second bath has the same older moen model and no issues. House was built in 94, so original equipment.
I have well water(has 30- 50 psi switch) with 3/4" pvc reduced to 1/2 at the hook ups for the valve. With the cartridge out of the valve, I was getting 6 gpm. With the cartridge in, I got 3 out of the tub pipe.
Moen said the valve is rated for 6 gpm. There is 1/2" copper running to tub spout from valve. I even got 3gpm right at the valve outlet for the tub with no pipe.
I ended up taking the moen back to lowes and got a delta single handle. Still have the same issue if not worse. No soldering involved, just thread tape.
It takes 43 seconds to get 1 gal of hot water. It takes about 22 seconds to get a gal. When handle is in the middle. I get twice the hot water in the second bath and about 3.5- 4 gpm when handle in the middle. The second bath is adjacent to master bath so piping only goes about 6- 8 ft.
Do the newer valves reduce flow that much compared to older? Calling delta's was no help.
Thanks for any help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the tub spout run in copper? It's important that you have full size piping to the tub spout.

moen-tub-outlet.jpg

Last edited:

Itsward

Reaction score
Is the tub spout run in copper? It's important that you have full size piping to the tub spout.
Yes, I have 1/2 copper pipe down to a brass 90, then brass pipe out for the spout.

Itsward

Reaction score
Was the old one pressure balanced
The older moen is not pressure balanced. I tested the pressure on the hot and cold supply where they connect at the valve. Both read about 30 psi to start. I turned on a sink faucet and watched the pressure. Both sides went down to 18 and then the well pump kicked on and the psi went to 45. It's a 30- 50 switch. When the tub is on, you never really see this pressure change but when you take a shower you feel a little difference. Delta spec sheet says that the valve is supposed to do 4.75 gpm at 30psi and close to 4 gpm at 20 psi. I'm still getting 2.5 to 3 com no matter what. I might just try to find the older moen valve and out that back in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks