Low Shower Flow but good pressure ?

Users who are viewing this thread

peterz

Reaction score
My shower has a single lever control (moen 96909). Show has never had good flow, just marginal. Now very low. I've replaced the internals once, and flush iron debri out, but this only helped a little. Without the control in place water blasts out. Rest of the house has very good flow so it's not the water pressure.

Very frustrated, any suggestions welcome? Should I buy something other than Moen?

Thanks,

Pete

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Federal mandate on showerheads is a max of 2.5gallons/min. Some showerheads do a better job than others with that flow. Removing the restrictions (possibly a removeable part) in a showerhead would increase the flow, but would more quickly depleat your hot water supply and not make the feds happy. On some showerheads, it would require some drilling or machining. So, try a search here for other past recommendations on showerheads...they are not all created equal by any means. Often, cheap and quality don't come together on a showerhead design.

peterz

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The flow is low whether the water comes out of the shower nozzle or tub faucet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are your supply lines galvanized iron pipe? If so, it may be time to replace. Even if the main pipes are copper, they may have used a galvanized nipple - it might be shot.

Some valves have inlet screen filters, those could be clogged. There could be crud inside of the valve, restricting things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks