Low-profile way to fasten insulated copper tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I have a number of copper plumbing runs (city supply, well, irrigation, dhw & recirc, etc) that I need to attach to the underside of the joists, and will furr down the ceiling 2". Several runs will be insulated... ideally continuously.

What is the best low-profile, acceptable way to attach the continuously insulated runs (several adjacent to each other)? Can I use strapping (galvanized or plastic) over the top of the insulation, with or without a full wrap?

Rossn

Reaction score
Thank you. I see one clip option at supplyhose. However, I only have 2.25" to fit the plumbing with insulation and also a 16 gauge piece of steel as a nail plate. 3 of these lines are 1" Copper, and that sheet shows the distance it hangs down as 1.9", and then I have another 1/2" of insulation + nail plate. I would like it to look profession did it, also have the space limitation.

Fitter30

Reaction score
1/2" covering is 1" + the pipe od. One or two hole conduit clamp take some thin aluminum flashing ( roof dept) form it over bottom half of pipe 12" long to spread out the weight not to crusn covering.

Rossn

Reaction score
Yes, though I am saying the clip hanger has a depth that includes all but one side of the insulation, and with that, it would come to 2.4"+steel, which is greater than the 2-1/4" I have to work with. Yes, the tubing+insulation does fit, in itself. Help me understand the purpose of the aluminum flashing? Just to prevent damage to the insulation?

Is it a notably bad idea to just use strapping across the insulated tubing?

Since I have to put some steel on the underside, where I have 3 runs ganged side-by-side, maybe I just cut some 12"x6" 16-gauage steel and use that at intervals, screwing through it, and into the joists... basically a sandwich. Again, maybe not conventional enough to be acceptable; almost like a cable raceway.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Having a larger area of contact will reduce insulation crushing. You could take a look at the fabric webbing used for securing insulated ducts. Non standard but I don't see a problem.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
Agreed on the larger area for insulation compression... that said more than 1.5" wide doesn't help much, given the joists are 1.5" wide. For plumbing products, Oatley makes this 1-1/2" strapping (a bit rigid). I'm assuming that despite being copper tubing, the insulation separation would make it OK with inspectors to use this steel strapping.

upload_2021-3-31_11-8-30.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks