Low pressure in bathtub. please help

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Wkise4, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Wkise4

Wkise4 New Member

Just bought my first house and there is low pressure in s few faucets and especially the master bathroom bathtub. The faucet will shoot out water with high pressure until I turn the knob to the hot. Then it turns to a trickle for both the faucet and shower head. I have removed the handle and face plate in attempt to take out the cartridge but my cartridge looks different than all the videos online. I will attach a photo. Any help is greatly appreciated as my new female roommate is desperate for a real shower.

Best,
    Will

Attached Files:

2. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

Do you experience low pressure on the hot side on all your faucets that you mentioned?

Wkise4 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Wkise4 likes this.
  4. Wkise4

Wkise4 New Member

Yes now that I think about it.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Do you know what material your water supply pipes are made of? If they are galvanized steel, the hot ones are the first to exhibit low flow. The real reason is that the inside is all clogged with rust. The cold could be close behind. One telltale symptom is the low flow, but also a spurt of rusty water when you turn it on.

Wkise4 likes this.
  6. Wkise4

Wkise4 New Member

I
    I don’t know what material they are. How would I find out? If they are clogged do they need to be replaced. I have not noticed any rust at all coming out.

7. Jsmallberries

Jsmallberries Member

I had a clogged supply line at the water heater, the hot side leaving the heater had only just a pin hole opening from 20 years of hard water.
    I was surprised I had any hot water pressure
    Try removing hot water supply to see if it's clogged, or both hot and cold.

Wkise4 likes this.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Older homes tend to have some galvanized piping in them. Even newer ones may have galvanized nipples (short, threaded pipe) to feed things like say a tub spout, or a valve. You could take a look around where the water comes in and at the water heater. If the system has any pipe where a magnet can connect, it is suspect.

If you have lots of galvanized, eventually, you'll have problems of not only flow reduction, but also eventually, it will start leaking. If it's just a short section somewhere, you could usually replace that with brass or copper.

You could look under sinks to see if the shutoff valves are screwed on, or what type of pipe is sticking out of the wall.

9. Wkise4

Wkise4 New Member

Thank you all so much for your responses! I’m going to tackle it today