low pressure after replacing deep well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

mountainman716

Reaction score
Just finished installing a new gould deep well pump...10 gal min 3/4hp 220V.2 wire.
My result was I was having low pressure...I think the cause is the pitiless adaptor O ring is need of replacing...
At the time I bought a replacement but it was the wrong size and I thought I could get away with using the old one again.Apparently not. I have low volume and low pressure...At first I had plenty of pressure but later had low pressure. I am hoping that replacing the o ring will cure the problem.
The iron muck that got disturb in the well casing is awful...I may have to run the pump for hours to clear the water of all this rust colored water.
Will up date when I finish the o ring install.

Reach4

Reaction score
How far down is your water? How far down is your pump, as a secondary question.

Do you have an above-ground check valve?

mountainman716

Reaction score
How far down is your water? How far down is your pump, as a secondary question.

Do you have an above-ground check valve?
The well is 200 ft, deep.The pump is set at 100Ft.No above ground check valve. check valve is in pump unit I believe.Well produces 55 gpm.
which overflows when not used for awhile.Lots of iron, removed with water softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
If your pitless adapter o-ring was bad, I would expect the seal to leak -- not block flow. If it leaked, the pump would cycle when no water is being used. You could have screwed in the nipple at the pump too far. I have read about that. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....eck-valve-now-no-real-flow.66663/#post-495880

Running water is good to clear the sediment.

With such high water, your pump should be able to develop plenty of pressure. How long does your pump run before it shuts off, and what pressure does it shut off at? How big is your pressure tank?

mountainman716

Reaction score
If your pitless adapter o-ring was bad, I would expect the seal to leak -- not block flow. If it leaked, the pump would cycle when no water is being used. You could have screwed in the nipple at the pump too far. I have read about that. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....eck-valve-now-no-real-flow.66663/#post-495880

Running water is good to clear the sediment.

With such high water, your pump should be able to develop plenty of pressure. How long does your pump run before it shuts off, and what pressure does it shut off at? How big is your pressure tank?
I have a 40-60 switch. Cuts off at 60psi.
Pump runs about 45 seconds from 40psi. to 60 psi.
I trying now to see if my water softener got plugged up with iron muck. I have a ECO water softener. I have had great service with this for the last 26 years. I am running a back wash on it now b/c I neglected to switch it to bypass after working on the pump.
I replaced the o ring all seems ok with pressure and volume for now.
As soon as the back wash finishes (2hrs. ) I’ll run more water to flush the well casing.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 40-60 switch. Cuts off at 60psi.
Pump runs about 45 seconds from 40psi. to 60 psi.
Normally you would like to see at least 60 seconds. Certainly there is no symptom there that would indicate a bad O-ring on your pitless adapter.
I trying now to see if my water softener got plugged up with iron muck. I have a ECO water softener. I have had great service with this for the last 26 years. I am running a back wash on it now b/c I neglected to switch it to bypass after working on the pump.
I replaced the o ring all seems ok with pressure and volume for now.
As soon as the back wash finishes (2hrs. ) I’ll run more water to flush the well casing.

I suggest that you search the water softener forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/ with this search: "iron out" .

It will talk about cleaning iron out of a softener. Actually, after 26 years, you are probably overdue for new resin, since it has been facing your iron.

mountainman716

Reaction score
I
Normally you would like to see at least 60 seconds. Certainly there is no symptom there that would indicate a bad O-ring on your pitless adapter.

I suggest that you search the water softener forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/water-softener-forum-questions-and-answers.22/ with this search: "iron out" .

It will talk about cleaning iron out of a softener. Actually, after 26 years, you are probably overdue for new resin, since it has been facing your iron.
I will check that forum out.
My softener uses iron out to backwash. I usually add that each time I add salt.
The old o ring was leaking as I observed water running down the supply pipe.
I replaced it with a new print and it now seems ok.

mountainman716

Reaction score
I

I will check that forum out.
The old o ring was leaking as I observed water running down the supply pipe.
I replaced it with a new print and it now seems ok.
Spell check ? That should have been o ring not print.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
40 to 60 gives and average 50 PSI , which should be really good house pressure. That pressure is probably not getting to the house because a filter or softener is clogged and restricting the flow. You can check the pressure after the filters with a pressure gauge that screws to a hose bibb. If the pressure is getting through to the house and it still feels weak, using a CSV to maintain a constant 50 PSI instead of just getting an "average" 50 PSI will make for much stronger pressure in the shower.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
IMHO a softener should not be used to remove large amounts of iron and frequent use of Super Iron Out will deteriorate the beads. Also, SIO needs longer contact time than what a normal program cycle is.

mountainman716

Reaction score
IMHO a softener should not be used to remove large amounts of iron and frequent use of Super Iron Out will deteriorate the beads. Also, SIO needs longer contact time than what a normal program cycle is.

I have a call into my dealer requesting a answer about replacing my resin in the softener...

I was told this is not very often done...my system is 26 years old so it may be time.Most likely cheaper than replacing the whole machine.

Eco has been a good system for me...we average about 160+ gal. per day and use about 40lbs of salt a month.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks