Low Hot Water Pressure After Replacing Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

TXCPA79605

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm having trouble with low hot water pressure in my bathtub only faucet after replacing the washer on my cold water valve. I had a cold water dripping issue that I thought I fixed by replacing the washer but it has reared it's ugly head again this past week. I'm planning on replacing the valve now to see if that does the trick.

Anyways, when I replaced the washer I went ahead and inspected the hot water valve to see if it was in good shape. I'm thinking I must've done something wrong when reinstalling the valve after inspecting. The handle turns fine, but it seems like there is no increase in flow after a 1/2 to full turn. Any suggestions? I'm hoping I can fix both issues in one swing

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with low hot water pressure in my bathtub only faucet after replacing the washer on my cold water valve. I had a cold water dripping issue that I thought I fixed by replacing the washer but it has reared it's ugly head again this past week. I'm planning on replacing the valve now to see if that does the trick.
When you replace a tub washer, you usually replace the seat too.

Anyways, when I replaced the washer I went ahead and inspected the hot water valve to see if it was in good shape. I'm thinking I must've done something wrong when reinstalling the valve after inspecting. The handle turns fine, but it seems like there is no increase in flow after a 1/2 to full turn. Any suggestions? I'm hoping I can fix both issues in one swing
Could the restriction be upstream of the faucet? Is there a partially-open stop valve, for example?

TXCPA79605

Reaction score
When you replace a tub washer, you usually replace the seat too.

Could the restriction be upstream of the faucet? Is there a partially-open stop valve, for example?

I'm planning on replacing both valves, washers and seats tomorrow. I didn't realize that the first time through, so I've watched a few videos and I think I can handle it.

I don't think so. When I replaced the washer I just turned off the water at the main.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing both valves, washers and seats tomorrow.
I assume you mean stems, washers and seats. A new valve would use a cartridge instead of washers and seats. I don't know that new stems would help.

You could turn off the water, remove the hot stem, close the shower curtain. Then have a helper turn the water back on for 10 seconds, and hope the flow blows your blockage out. I am not a plumber.

TXCPA79605

Reaction score
I tried this after replacing the stems, washers and seats. No luck. Still super low hot water pressure. I'm not sure what to try next. I'm fairly certain I don't have a leak as my bill has stayed the same and the hot water heater has not been running frequently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks